Yes, I know my posts have been bunion-centric lately, but that's all I got. That, and I'm procrastinating taking a break from studying for my Anatomy lab practical.
Just in case you ever find yourself doing the crutch dance like me, I thought I'd make you aware of some of the limitations you may not think about until you're presented with each situation... Some of these I've referenced in other posts, so sorry for any repeats!
* You can't carry mail and use your crutches at the same time.
* For that matter you can't really carry anything and use crutches at the same time. This especially includes glasses of water and plates of hot food that easily moves around on a plate (sandwiches work; jambalaya does not).
* You will have to get over touching things in public restrooms. I'm willing to bet the handles in the handicap stall are cleaner than the toilet seat, so you're going to have to hold onto them in order to squat over the toilet. Trust me. Bite the bullet and just wash your hands with extra soap.
* Getting into and out of a garden tub (and washing hair while in said tub) requires abs of steel. I don't have those.
* Ask a neighbor to help you get your trashcan to the curb. Again, trust me.
* It takes time to get over thresholds and into homes; that step is taller.
* If it rains, you're gonna get wet. Crutches and umbrellas don't play nicely together.
* Backpacks are great for transport, but they throw off your center of gravity. Take your time.
* Rain, tile floors, and crutches don't mix. Be careful!
* Most malls now offer free wheel chairs or electric carts. It's embarrassing when they beep as you back-up, but they do make life easier.
* Stairs are scary. Phone a friend. Or go up and down on all fours.
* If you don't have one already, buy a cordless phone. Get used to carrying a phone in your pocket, otherwise, you'll never beat your answering machine.
* I'm still not sure how I'll get my laundry from the hamper to the laundry room and back. I'll let you know; I'm sure it'll be an adventure.
* They really should allow people on crutches temporary handicap parking tags. Getting across a parking lot is a feat of massive proportions.
Oh this is too funny after my post from today! I was laughing about carrying glasses of water and plates of food. Some things definitely take the hoping on one leg a lot better than others. My phone, chapstick, keys and a hair-tie live in my pockets and I think I'll wait for mom to do laundry since the laundry room is down in the basement. What an adventure!
ReplyDeleteTry driving a stick!! Two feet required! I had to rent a car for a month...and remember how to drive an automatic!
ReplyDelete