I went to Notre Dame. They're known as one of the most storied football programs and universities in the country. They have 11 national championships and seven Heisman Trophy winners in their 168 year history. And that's just football. Sure they haven't had the Luck o' the Irish in many recent bowl games, nor have they won a championship since 1988. But they're still that team that people love to hate.
Domers are used to this. We understand that there are many people who would love to be given an opportunity to get in a dig against Notre Dame. And whether you agree or disagree with the opinion that Notre Dame is overrated, their football team has left much to desire of late.
I'm very proud of the fact that I attended Notre Dame. I support our sports teams, I stand when I hear the alma mater being played, and I bleed blue and gold. During football season, I even participate in a little bit of friendly Facebook trash talking. On my own wall. I do not go to other people's walls and talk about how my team is gonna kill theirs or say that they suck, etc. I do not rub decades-long winning streaks in people's faces. I'd like to reiterate: I do not initiate trash talking on other people's walls.
Why then do other people think it's cool, funny, or classy to come to my wall and badmouth my school. That's like walking up to me and saying something about my mama. I didn't provoke you. But it seems to never fail when it comes to beating Notre Dame. In two of the last three years, the Naval Academy has beaten Notre Dame in football. Previous to that, Notre Dame had beaten Navy 43 years running. I have three family members who graduated from Navy and went on to have successful military careers. I never once have instigated the Navy-Notre Dame rivalry with a Naval Academy grad (except for with my dad, and even then it's a very respectful rivalry) simply because I have the upmost admiration for the Naval Academy, its students, what it stands for, and what its graduates sacrifice to our wonderful nation. So why, during those two football games, did countless Navy grads feel the need to rub it in? I'm happy for them; I'm glad they're proud of their team. But that doesn't make it ok to remind the losers that they are, well, losers.
Likewise, when Notre Dame played Old Dominion (located in Norfolk, about 15 minutes from my house) today, the only comment I made on someone else's wall about the game was "Go Irish!" in response to their "Go ODU!". Nothing else. Yet, the minute I got home, on my wall was a taunting "How 'bout them Monarchs?" from a high school classmate (who went to ODU, and who I'm pretty sure only knows one ND grad: me). Later this evening, a different "friend" posted "Luck of the Irish not so much" and "...bad job being a Domer" on my wall.
Excuse me, but that is about the lowest class thing I've seen in a while. You do not go onto someone's wall and tell them it's bad to be a graduate from their school. You do not taunt people. It's not classy. ODU might have won a basketball game today, but after that comment, ND gets points for class in my book.
After that, I've never been prouder to be a Domer. And ya know what, my opinion of ODU, which used to be positive because they've really improved as a university (in all facets) over the last ten or so years, just dropped a few notches. Old Dominion should be proud of their accomplishments. Their quality of education is constantly improving. They just started a football team which boasted a successful inaugural season. They've built several new buildings with top-notch technology. They're playing in the NCAA Basketball Tournament. They have nothing to be ashamed of.
Except a few graduates who clearly don't know the meaning of being a gracious winner.
No comments:
Post a Comment