Good Lord, you'd think today was Monday!! Let's recap:
In the last 24 hours I've:
...fallen right on my air casted/booted/wrapped just-had-surgery-on-it foot three times! Three!
Once was while attempting to collect my mail and then get across the guest parking lot (I live in a townhouse with those community mailbox banks), through my miniscule front yard, onto my porch, and into my house. Well, carrying three days worth of mail while on crutches doesn't work. So I held the pile of mail in one hand, put my crutches in the other, and hopped (yes, like a bunny)... I made it through the parking lot and yard, and even up onto my porch (it's only one step). But attempting to make the hop up the bigger step into the house, I lost my balance. Given the choice between falling on my face, my knee (because that would probably require a whole different even more invasive operation), or my heavily bandaged foot....you guessed it! My left foot planted in front of me to break my fall. But I still went down (on my butt thank the Lord!) anyway. Yep...I sat right there on the front porch, took off my boot, and poked and prodded my foot until I was sure I hadn't dislodged any of my three titanium pins, then crawled into my house on all fours.
The other two times were in relation to my evening Anatomy class tonight. You see, it started raining on my way to class. Nothing hard, just drizzling. No biggie. Until, that is, I went into the building. I learned a new math equation: rain + tile floors - use of one leg = crutches slipping out from under me. Yep! You guessed it again! My left crutch began to slide, so instinctively (and reflexively) my left foot planted. And that happened not once, but twice! At least the class takes place in a hospital.
...consumed mold!
Got home from class, drenched, because the rain started pouring while I was in class. Guess what? Gimps can't carry umbrellas. And they take about eight years to get into a car. Fun! Anyway, so I got home from class and actually managed to get into the house this time without nearly breaking my neck and began to microwave some leftover jambalaya for dinner. Well, since crutches don't allow me to carry anything, nor does it really feel great to stand on one foot for any length of time, I opted to sit on the counter to eat my dinner. Yeah, I'm classy! Well guess what? Jambalaya, at least the way I make it, is spicy. And trying to transport a glass of anything is even less feasible than carrying a dinner plate (or mail, as I've learned!) while on crutches, so I washed down my spicy dinner with a chug from a bottle of Crystal Light that was nearby. After I drank the whole thing, I noticed brown spots on the inside of the bottle. And then I noticed they were furry. Yes, folks, apparently I now drink mold! Yuk!
Oh Man Kate, it does sound like a series of Mondays. Well I am glad you didn't hurt your foot more after all your falls and unfortunately I have no advice about surviving life on crutches, other than it sounds like you need a personal assistant or something to make sure your dinner meets you at the table, the bottoms of your crutches are dry, hold the umbrella, and get your mail. Yep definitely a personal assistant!
ReplyDeleteNo kidding! This is my first dance with crutches as well... I have a follow-up appointment with my pediatrist on Friday. Hopefully that will allay my fears that I hurt myself! In the meantime, a personal assistant sounds great....maybe I could convince the hubs that I need one until he's home from deployment?!? :-)
ReplyDelete