Thursday, March 18, 2010

Holiday Nerd Junkie

My parents and brothers have always referred to me as the Tradition Nazi. I was the one who insisted upon carving Jack-o-Lanterns and coloring Easter eggs, wearing red on Valentine's Day and green on St Patrick's Day, watching fireworks on 4th of July and the Macy's Parade on Thanksgiving. They warned my husband, before we were even engaged, that skimping on holidays was a deal-breaker where I was concerned, so he better be prepared because decorating the Christmas tree is a major production and not tricking me on April Fools Day is sure to cause tears. Just because I don't have kids yet doesn't mean I don't enjoy the childish joy that comes with holiday celebrations. We've done these things (and more) since I was little, and I don't see why it matters that I am 27 now; I intend to continue these traditions until they finally send me to the Funny Farm.

You see, my dad was/is a Marine. He missed a lot of holidays and birthdays, and although Mom always ensured The Day was just as special no matter if Dad was home or not, there were many celebrations a few days early or late. We held off on birthday cake and presents until the whole family could be present (even if it meant waiting for a month, in which case we could rest assured we'd get two cakes), but we always had something to unwrap on the anniversary of our birth. It didn't matter that our agenda didn't coincide with the calendar's master plan. It was the same for any other holiday; we always celebrated, with all the bells and whistles. Period.

I think this is the reason I get a little crazy for any holiday, no matter how big or small: Dad wasn't always home for my birthday (end of February) so Valentine's Day was a big deal. Or in college one year I couldn't be home for Thanksgiving, so Mom combined a Turkey Dinner with that of our Easter Ham so I didn't miss either. Even when we lived in England, we'd pack a traditional American picnic (fried chicken, baked beans, the works) for Independence Day. I learned to enjoy the "smaller" holidays, that weren't always centered around gifts, because being with my family is what mattered most and I wanted to take advantage of any special day we could be together rather than take them for granted and reserve my pouting for the bigger, more commercialized days.

Patrick and I have been together (either dating, engaged, or married) for going on five years now. We've been married nearly two. Of those two years, we've spent exactly seven and a half intermittent months together. However, somehow we've managed to always be together on New Year's Eve, despite deployments, living in different states, and even deaths in the family. Until this year. I won't lie; I was upset. Really upset. Almost more upset than I was when I didn't wake up next to him Christmas morning. This deployment he's missed at least one holiday every month: Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Valentine's Day, my birthday, St Patrick's Day, Easter, our anniversary. New Year's used to be our holiday, the one we could count on. Nope. Not anymore.

So that is why this summer, Hagan House will be having a Missed Holiday Extravaganza. I'll make all the special holiday meals. We won't get to carve pumpkins or hide eggs, but we'll exchange Christmas presents and go out for a special anniversary dinner. We'll celebrate our birthdays together this year, planning a weekend getaway with one day for Patrick and one for me (wine tours and horse races anyone?!).

Why?

Because I am the Tradition Nazi. And holidays will not go uncelebrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment