Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Weird Shit, Annoying Shit, and Exciting Shit

Yes...I know that is a lot of shit.  But I can't wait to tell you all about it!

So first, the exciting shit, because it takes the least amount of time to tell...  Santa came to our house a little bit early!  Well, his elves made a delivery anyway.  I have a fabulous idea for Bunkey's big Santa Christmas gift, and I found a great deal for it online, so I couldn't wait to order.  And now it's hear, waiting to be assembled, but I'm just gonna have to wait, since once it's put together I won't be able to store it as easily. And yes, you'll have to wait until later to see what it is!

And, since we're going out of order, now for the weird shit...  Hubs likes to go through iPods like I like to go through...well, something I go through quickly.  Toilet paper, maybe?  I dunno.  Anyway...the first year we were dating I bought Hubs his first iPod (he'd previously been a Sony man).  He loved it, used it daily, and quickly discovered the gloriousness of Apple.  Meanwhile, I'd traded in my old, first generation iPod Mini for the same iPod Nano I'd bought Hubs (who was then my BF, obvs).  Fast forward a couple of years.  Now we're married and Hubs decides his iPod just doesn't have enough capacity.  He buys a newer Nano in black.  Then I get a new laptop which includes a free Nano with the purchase.  I, of course, get hot pink.  The old Nanos are tossed in the "spare cell phones and other techy stuff" box we keep buried in a closet.  Somewhere along the way Hubs' black iPod gets wet and goes crazy.  It still plays, but we can't control what it plays, nor can we see the display, and it only works when plugged into the car's aux port.  Being so close to Christmas, Hubs digs out his old iPod to use as a back-up until he can get a new one.  Fast forward another year or so.  We move across country, yadda yadda, and Hubs's old iPod just gives out.  It's old.  It can't handle so much use.  So Hubs goes looking for my old iPod, which looks exactly like his (these ones are silver) except that I'm not cool enough to have my name engraved on the back.  He can't find it anywhere...not in closest, cars, spare boxes in the garage, desk drawers, junk drawers...nowhere.  He gives it up for lost and thinks he might not be able to wait until Christmas.  But then two nights ago he has a dream.  And in his dream he finds my missing iPod.  When Hubs wakes up, he thinks it's weird, and there's no possible way the iPod could be where it was in the dream, because he already looked there, but he's gonna give it a shot anyway.  And lo and behold, there's the missing iPod!!  Weird huh?  I told Hubs that when he starts dreaming up the winning lotto numbers we'll start buying lottery tickets!

And, last but not least, the annoying shit.  Because it gets me fired up the most!  Yesterday was our Parents Place day.  I was running late, so I was a bit frazzled trying to get myself and Bunkey dressed and packed up to get out the door on time.  Hubs had a test and then his afternoon class was canceled, so he surprised me coming home early (noonish) which just got me more frazzled.  But I got the car loaded, got Bunkey in his carseat, opened the garage door...and there was a strange car in my driveway.  It was parked behind Hubs's car, so there was no way I could back my huge Big Bertha car out of my own garage without hitting the other car.  Oh, and I should mention that three if this car's doors are wide open.  Now, this is the second time this has happened.  Our next door neighbors' guests have a habit of mistaking my driveway for theirs (though I'm not really sure how, since my driveway is connected to my house).  But last time, said guest was dropping something off, so he was only in our driveway about ten minutes.  And I wasn't trying to go somewhere.  So I was a little annoyed last time, but, like I said, he was gone before I needed to leave my house.  Yesterday was different.  I couldn't get out of my own driveway, and the owners of this car were no where to be seen, so I'm only guessing they were guests of my next door neighbors.  So I came inside and asked Hubs, who has better backing skillz than me, if he could try to get my car out so I wouldn't be even more late.  I had to close the car doors of the strange car so he could, and I considered, if the keys were still in it, of locking them in the car.  But the keys weren't there.  Needless to say, I'm really annoyed, and am trying to think of what I should do next time this happens.  We live on an Army post, even though we're Navy (I know, it's strange, but that is how it is here), and this housing development is different than any I've encountered before.  They don't have people living "by rank".  As in, rather than having one street or block or area for each different group of similarly ranked folks, they just have everyone intermingled.  For example, on the other bases I've lived, there were areas for junior enlisted, senior enlisted, junior officers, mid-grade officers, and then the most senior officers (Colonels and Generals).  It really helped with the technicalities of "fraternization" rules and made it so much less awkward when there was a spat between neighbors or kids.  But it's not like that here.  So Hubs dramatically outranks our next door neighbor, meaning that it would be really awkward for him/us to knock on the door and ask them to please tell their friends to not park in our driveway (which I'd think would be common sense, but apparently is not).  Hubs doesn't want it to look like we're ordering them around, and I feel the same way.  So I don't know what to do.  Leave a note on the car?  Move my car so as to block theirs, forcing them to come knock on my door and ask me to move?  Call the housing office?  Or just knock on the neighbor's door and hope they don't think we're "pulling rank" on them?

What would you do?!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I guess YOU could ask them to keep their friends out of your driveway. I'm guessing they don't know you're a reservist, so they may not have a qualm with the "rank" thing since spouses usually don't have a rank. That's really annoying that they were blocking your driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say something. Nicely. Especially since it happened twice. Just because they are young doesn't mean they shouldn't have to learn neighborly manners. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would ask them nicely; I'm sure it will turn out okay and I don't think they would think your "ordering them around" :) They should know not to block your driveway though lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should go next door and ask. I think would be seen more as a neighbor asking a neighbor rather than a rank issue. But I can see why you guys are being cautious. If I were your neighbor though, I would definitely rather get a quick request from you then hear it from a housing office or whatever. That, in my mind, might seem like you are trying to "tell on them" rather than ask them to keep their guests off your driveway. That is annoying though. Oh and iPod dream = crazy. Great now I am going to be wondering what Bunkey is getting for two months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies.... After I cooled off and stopped ranting and raving about how annoyed I was for being inconvenienced... Well, I was STILL annoyed. But the next time this happens, we decided that I'd be the one to go next door and chat with the other wife. Of course I'll be my sweet-as-pie self, BUT this lady unfortunately tends to be one with the attitude that would lump me in with "Those Bitchy Officers' Wives" even though she doesn't know me...because she never comes outside so I haven't really introduced myself beyond smiling at her and saying hello the ONE TIME I saw her scurry from her car into her house. It's so sad when wives believe that they share their husbands' rank, because they don't... But if the housing office is going to make us live next door to each other, than we need to respect each other as neighbors...and that includes my driveway!

    ReplyDelete