Monday, October 17, 2011

Funky Brewster

So I sorta feel like I'm in a funk lately...  My days seem to just run together with nothing new to look forward to.  Sure, we have our daily routines down:  Parents Place classes and grocery on Tuesdays, random appointments and errands on Mondays and Wednesdays, housecleaning and dinner out on Thursdays, catch-up on Fridays, perhaps a fun outing on Saturday, Mass and lounging on Sundays.  Pretty repetitive and nothing earth-shattering.

Needless to say, I need a break.  A break from being Mundane Mommy.  Don't get me wrong.  I love being a mom.  And I love this time I'm able to share at home with my son and no very few distractions.  Yes, I'm looking forward to the next step of nursing school, but that is over a year off, once we figure out where we'll be after this duty station.  Yes, I'm looking forward to going back to work, being a nurse, and pursuing something I started before I was even pregnant!  But I need more.  I need something right now.  Not something huge like a vacation away from my son or a job while I'm between careers.  But just something that separates being Kate from being Mommy.

You see, recently it just seems like I've gotten my hopes up for the break I need, but then plans change or I'm unable to get that "time off" that I so desperately need.  The Gourmet Group, a subset of the Wives Club here, has had their monthly meeting set and rescheduled twice this month, only to just cancel it all-together via email last night.  I was really looking forward to a couple of hours of ladies time last week (and then this week).  Hubs and I had our schedules all figured out, and then the carpet got pulled out from under me.  And, as you may remember, Hubs and I were supposed to attend Navy Ball this past weekend to celebrate the Navy's 236th Birthday.  I was so excited to get all dressed up and look fabulous and not-at-all like a mommy for the night.  But then none of our friends were attending.  And they declared that the uniform should be Dinner Dress Whites, which Hubs doesn't own and didn't want to spend the money to purchase, since he also has to buy Dinner Dress Blues for the Supply Corps Ball in February (which he has to attend).  Added to a babysitter, my dress and hair, etc, and tickets, the additional uniform cost would put the grand total for one evening close to $1000.  And at this point in time, we just don't have that kind of money to spend on one night.  So I got excited about the ball, and then we opted not to go.  It was a joint decision Hubs and I made together, but I was still disappointed.  Instead, we decided to invite friends over for dinner.  Except that her Hubs surprised her with a weekend trip away the same weekend, so they had to cancel.  I wasn't upset with our friends, just that our special night in had to be post-poned.

Suffice it to say, I have a few things on my calendar in the coming weeks.  I'm hoping against hope nothing is cancelled so I can get outta my funk!  We have friends (different ones from those I mentioned above) coming for dinner on Friday.  Next week I have a Wives Club function (ghost stories of the old Hotel Del Monte, right here on the NPS Campus, along with a ladies only pizza party), another Ladies Night evening of Bunko next Friday, and then of course Bunkey's first Halloween two weeks from today!

And, thanks to an amazing husband and LivingSocial, we have a romantic little weekend planned for Veteran's Day Weekend.  Yes, Bunkey will be with us, but it'll be romantic nonetheless and I'm sure we'll have a fabulous time.  Except that I'm going to wait until later to tell you what we're doing and where!

No comments:

Post a Comment