Saturday, October 22, 2011

Firsts and Perks

A few days ago, I mentioned that we were having friends for dinner.  I really enjoy entertaining, not only to foster new friendships, but also because it's just a little easier to cook for four rather than just two.  And because it's nice to fancy up my dinner table a little.  Sometimes, even though I've cooked and cleaned for the majority of the day leading up to a dinner party, it feels like we're going out to dinner, since everything is just a little bit more special...but we don't even have to leave the house.  And with a new baby, special nights without leaving the house are extra special!

So, the original intent of this dinner party was to celebrate the Navy's 236th Birthday.  The friends we initially invited for dinner had to cancel a few days before, but I'd already purchased all the ingredients for the meal.  So we invited another couple, who have also had us to their house, so the food wouldn't go to waste.  They had a previous engagement, so we post-poned our birthday celebration for a week.  The traditional meal at Navy Ball is prime rib, so I decided to serve steaks with a special peppercorn sauce, rosemary roasted potatoes, and salad.  The meal was fancy enough to serve to guests, but relatively simple, and allowed me to prep everything well in advance so I'd be able to visit with our guests instead of slaving in the kitchen up until the last minute!  Of course, every Birthday Ball is topped off with a cake, so I needed one of those too!  I found a great recipe that my mama had already tested and swore was fabulous, so I decided on that!  A triple layer cheesecake!  Mmmm.  But I'd never made cheesecake.  Didn't even own a spring-form pan.  I almost chickened out, but I was won over by the fact that I could make the cake two days in advance.  Score.  So I bought a spring-form pan and went to town.  And the cheesecake was friggin' awesome!  And super rich.  But awesome!  I'm planning to feature desserts on my new cooking blog in December, so be sure to check there for the recipe!  Just know that the results were to die for!

And the perks?  Well, as you know, I'm still in the Reserves.  I stopped drilling with my unit in Virginia shortly before I gave birth to Bunkey.  Since we moved out here, I've been trying to find a new "home" with the Reserves.  I thought I was on the right track, and at the beginning of the month, I went to the Reserve center to get the ball rolling.  But, as with many things in the military, there was a mountain of paperwork to go through.  When I finally got to the point where I could officially request my transfer, it was denied.  I found out that they needed some more information before they could grant my transfer, so I filed the request again, and was once again denied.  At this point it was looking like I'd have to remain with my old unit in Virginia and fly from coast to coast (on my own nickel) each month for drill weekends.  Not ideal at all since that would mean I'd be paying the Navy instead of the other way around!

Well, I got a phone call a couple of days ago and they found me a billet on the West Coast.  So I won't have to fly back and forth each month!  Of course, the command drills at a site 100 miles from my house, which is far from ideal.  I qualify for a hotel for the weekend, but I'm not sure how I feel about leaving my little man for two whole nights.  I'm just not ready for that yet, so I'm going to see how my first drill weekend goes next month and make my decision then.  Otherwise I'll be driving 200 miles two days in a row, waking up at the ass-crack of dawn, and returning home way late in the evening.  So we'll just see.  At first I wasn't thrilled with this arrangement.  I wanted them to try and find me something else, something closer.  Surely there was something!  But then they dangled the perk of this job 100 miles away...  My Annual Training requirement.  Drilling Reservists are required to spend some portion of every year, usually two weeks, on Active Duty.  This is normally spent in a school, training, or assisting with a special exercise or operation.  Well, the command that I am newly assigned to takes part in an exercise in Hawaii.  So I'll *have* to travel to Hawaii for two weeks in June!  My travel and hotel will be paid for, I'll get reimbursed for my meals, and I'll be in Hawaii!  So, I am now under orders, I officially have a new home with the reserves, and I get a free trip to Hawaii.  Of course, the Hawaii part isn't absolutely official yet...I need to start drilling and get more information.  But there's a good chance I'll have to get to go!  The best part is that if this exercise coincides with a break from Hubs's MBA program he and Bunkey will be able to come with me!!!

So, that's the latest news with us!  Dinner parties and reserve units!!  I'll keep you posted after my first drill weekend and let you know how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know what your Hubs' schedule is like, but can he and Bunkey come and stay at the hotel with you at least that first drill weekend? I would think that would be the easiest way to ease into it.

    And Hawaii? Um, wow, that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes and no.... Hubs's schedule would allow for that, but USNR policy is that technically I would be required to share a room with another female officer of like-rank. The odds of that happening are in my favor as far as NOT having to share a room, but no guarantees. However, policy also states that if I have non-USNR family members staying in the room with me then I am responsible for the costs and also disciplinary action... So, if I am willing to pay for my own room, we could do that, but for that price I might as well pay for the gas and come home Saturday night... Not to mention that packing up everything required for Bunkey for two days would make that a MAJOR endeavor, as you'll learn in a few months! It's not as easy to go away for the weekend as it was when I could just throw a change of clothes and my makeup bag into a duffle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be so awesome. Um I can't wait to hear all about the cheesecake recipe....although maybe it will be better if I avoid that one :)

    ReplyDelete