Monday, September 5, 2011

The Skinny on Baby Stuff: The Changing Table

I know not everyone buys a changing table. Some just keep a basket of supplies handy and change whenever and wherever there is a need. I decided that I wanted a bonafide station for changing diapers, so I bought one.
  • Changing table. I bought one from Pottery Barn Kids that I could repurpose down the road. I love the look of this one and think it'll be great as a console table, bucket bench, bookshelf, toy cabinet, or something else down the road. I'll be able to use it anywhere, so even though I spent a little more money, I know I'll make every penny back in utility!
  • Diaper Genie. I posted about this here, so I won't go into it again, but I love this item!!
  • Diapers and baby wipes. Last week I mentioned how much I love the Pampers products. So when it comes to "Dipes and Wipes", these are the ones I have on hand. I buy two packages at a time, keeping a ready supply both upstairs in the nursery and downstairs in the basket below my bassinet. That'll last me about two weeks. I also signed up for Pampers Gifts that Grow. Every pampers product I buy comes with a code I can enter on the website to earn points for goodies for Bunkey (or me!).
  • Changing table pad. I bought a big, thick, contoured one. Makes it a soft place to change Bunkey, and keeps him from rolling (too much). Some use the straps to hold their baby in place, but I cut mine off, since with them still attached I couldn't get a cover on the pad comfortably. I use this cover along with these liners, to keep my changing pad clean and dry.
  • Toiletries. On top of the changing table, I keep cotton balls and Q-tips, baby oil, lotion, baby powder and a brush for after bathtime. After each bath, I use a Q-tip to put baby oil between each finger and toe, then lotion all over. I also keep diaper rash cream and hand sanitizer on hand. I love this particular lotion (and the accompanying baby bath and shampoo) since it has lavender and chamomile to make baby calm and sleepy!
  • Extras. In the drawers, I keep spare pacis, clippers and nail files, a baby thermometer, and any other extra baby related items I need to have handy. Rather than keeping these in the bathroom, it's nice to have it at the changing table so I can lay Bunkey down while I'm "working" on him!
  • More great storage. The shelves under my changing table hold six wicker baskets, which are great for storing extra supplies! I have a basket for and extra changing pad cover and liners, receiving blankets, diapers, mattress liners and sheet savers, and two baskets for crib sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment