Monday, August 29, 2011

The Skinny on Baby Stuff: The Diaper Bag

OK folks, I'm continuing my mini-series on baby gear! We're winding down with my sage wisdom what I've learned works for me, but this one was a tough spot. You see, I love my handbags. I love pairing a cute purse with an outfit, and I need to carry certain items with me at all times. I wasn't ready to give up my favorite bags (thank Goodness I still had my other favortie: shoes!)...
  • Diaper Bag. I knew I'd need a diaper bag. I knew it would most likely replace my purse. Therefore I wanted it to be both functional and cute. A tall order, especially since I wasn't willing to pay the price of a Coach diaper bag. But I came across Petunia Pickle Bottom and knew I'd found my diaper bag. This gym was a bit on the pricey side (I was lucky and my Nana bought it for me for my birthday) but it had all my requirements. Easy to clean, lots of pockets, cute, but not so trendy it wouldn't work with everything. It has four bottle pockets, a fold out changing pad, zip-out pouch, clip on a string just inside the bag, and more pockets for wipes (with a wipe case) and other necessities. Oh yeah....and even more pockets for my cell phone, keys, wallet, and lipstick....or whatever I might need. I've received countless compliments on this bag and love that I can get everything into one bag! I keep my bag stocked (see below) so it's always ready to go.
  • A second diaper bag. No, not a spare, but a second smaller version. I call this my emergency kit. I keep it packed and in the car just in case. It's great to just run into the grocery store (I've learned to never venture out, no matter how short a trip, without the essentials) or for Hubs to use. I bought a small, black Eddie Bauer version, so it doesn't look girly, doesn't take up a bunch of space, and is just as functional as it's "big sister" (see above).
Now... I know you want to know what I keep in the bags! So here's what I've found to be essential:
  • Diapers. I use the Pampers Swaddlers and Baby Dry diapers. I've heard Huggies leak, and I don't know anything about Luvs. I'm happy with the Pampers, so I'm not gonna mess with a good thing. I keep 12 in my big bag and 6-8 in the smaller bag. Depending on how many errands I run and for how long, that keeps my diaper bag stocked for a week or so. The emergency bag obviously stays stocked for longer, since it's my back-up.
  • Wipes. I bought two of those traveler baby wipes cases (the hard plastic ones that you can refill) and keep one in each bag. The one fault of my Petunia Picklebottom bag is that the wipe case that came with it doesn't have a good seal, so the wipes dry out. And, because of the way it opens, it's hard to separate the wipes that are folded like tissues, so it's much easier to be able to pull them through the smaller opening that's on the refill cases made by the manufacturer of the wipes themselves.
  • Paci Wipes. You can buy these at the baby stores. They're flavored (I think) and safe to suck on, but awesome for cleaning a paci that fell on a dirty floor. A must-have for my bag!
  • Extra Paci. See above. With a case to keep it in. Also because sometimes they just get lost in the car or some other place and you need a spare!
  • Cleansing Cloths. Not quite like a baby wipe, since these are a bit more for actually cleaning a baby when you can't get to a bath. Great for larger spit-up issues. I like the Mustela brand.
  • Diaper Rash Cream. I keep a tube on the changing table and a tube in the bag. I like Beudreaux's Butt Paste and Balmex.
  • Trash bags. I bought an Arm & Hammer diaper bag dispenser with refills. These are great for dirty diapers so you don't stink up someone else's house or have to toss a dirty diaper in a public restroom or even throw in the trunk of the car until you get home. Something I didn't think about until my mom told me. And then I discovered just how bad dirty diapers smell if they're not contained and sit out for a while. This is truly a life saver! Also great when you have dirty clothes or burp cloths/bibs that are soaked!
  • Disposable changing pads. Great for placing on those changing stations in public bathrooms. Way easier than lining the things with toilet paper or paper towels!
  • Extra nasal asperator, thermometer (I received several as shower gifts and decided to just keep them rather than returning them, so I could have one in my travel bag, one in the medicine cabinet, etc.).
  • Travel sized hand sanitizer. Enough said.
That's what lives in my main larger diaper bag. That keeps me well-stocked. However, on a daily basis, I'll pack an extra change of clothes, bib, burp cloth, and bottle (or my formula dispenser with spare bottles filled with sterile water, depending on how long I'll be gone).

In the smaller bag, I keep diapers, wipes, paci, and a small blanket. I'll stock that bag with other items as necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment