I know it's Tuesday, but I wanted to share with you a recap of our weekend!
I officially joined the Officers Wives Club here in Monterey just a few weeks ago, and attended the new spouses welcome with a lady whose husband and I were stationed on our first ship together nearly four years ago. It's so nice to have a familiar face at a new duty station, but she has a full-time job and I was eager to meet even more ladies in order to make a few "playmates" (both for myself and for Bunkey). The Club has lots of fun activities planned throughout the year and I'm so excited to get involved and experience everything Monterey Bay has to offer in the short time we'll be here! The evening also included little blurbs by the dozen or so special interest groups embedded in the Club, and I signed up for what seems like half of them! I figured, what the heck, I'm not working or taking classes...it's just Bunkey and me...might as well try out a little bit of everything! Combined with our Parents Place classes once a week, I'm looking forward to staying busy!
Anyway, Saturday was my first outing with the Gourmet Groupies, and Hubs' first time running errands with Bunkey! I ran down the normal daily routine with Hubs before I left, since he's only with Bunkey during the day on weekends and basically follows my lead on feeding schedules, naps, and everything else. On my way out the door, Hubs asked, "Well what if something bad happens?" I replied that I'd have my phone and he could certainly call me. "But what if it's something really bad?" "Call 911!" I told him, now worried that perhaps I shouldn't go after all. "Well, what if it's something really bad, but not that bad?" Hubs asked. I wrote down the number for the pediatrician's on-call nurse and hurried out the door before I changed my mind and stayed home.
So, where was I going, you ask? The Gourmet Groupies had arranged an afternoon tea at a local tea house, Eddison & Melrose! Having spent three years in London in high school, I was super excited for tea time, meeting new ladies, and a couple of hours that didn't involve spit-up or dirty diapers. Of course, just as I was pulling into the parking lot, Hubs called with a vomit "emergency". But, since he's wonderful, everything was cleaned up and really he just wanted "permission" to put a particular outfit on Bunkey. I laughed, gave my seal of approval, and hung up.
The rest of the afternoon was all mine! I loved the tea and sandwiches at Eddison & Melrose. The scones, homemade cream, and preserves were fabulous, and I could have eaten and entire tray of the tea cookies flavored with the faintest bit of almond! What's more, it was only $20, a far cry from the $75 plus you'd spend on high tea at one of London's fabulous hotels! There were only four Gourmet Groupies there, which made for really getting to know the three other ladies and I really enjoyed myself. The tea house is right near the mall here, so I'm looking forward to a return visit with girlfriends before a shopping trip! And, of course, if Mama A is able to come visit me, I'll certainly plan to take her there as well!!
When I arrived home just a couple of hours later, I heard all about how Hubs had a successful trip to Walmart and Home Depot with his Little Man, how Bunkey got "hit on" by all the (wrinkly, blue-haired) ladies, and how they started a football Saturday together. We went to pick up the mail and a pizza together and settled down to watch one horrendous Notre Dame - Michigan football game (please, no trash talking...I can't handle any more!). But, then I discovered Groupon and Living Social (yes, I know I'm way behind the power curve here) and signed us up for some great deals. Look forward for more fabulous adventure as we take advantage of the Monterey Bay area!
Sunday we went to Mass as always and after church took a stroll around the lake on the NPS campus. We had a bag of day-old bread crumbs that we fed to the lone duck swimming in the lake. It brought back childhood memories of "goin' goofin'" with my dad except the Bunkey slept through the whole thing!!
Sooo....that was our weekend! I'm sure we'll be enjoying lots more great family time as Bunkey gets bigger and we continue to learn our way around the area!

No comments:
Post a Comment