Today I received the awesome news that Patrick has made it safely to Kuwait! And that means that he's almost home! And that means that I really gotta get busy cleaning and filling the 'fridge!
So today, after class, I raced home, inhaled some lunch, changed clothes, and prepped a grocery list for the next week. Mind you, I have been utterly unsuccessful at persuading my dear, sweet husband to tell me what the heck he wants me to make his first week home and his parents are coming to visit Memorial Day weekend. I've been so busy that to be perfectly honest, I haven't given much thought to menu planning, so I just put together some of Patrick's favorites that don't require too much prep work on my part (since, of course, school takes up a ton of my time, so I really don't have the energy to spend my evenings in the kitchen, much as I'd love that!) and that will be tasty enough for company!
I made it down to the Naval Base in pretty good time (it wasn't quite rush hour!) and stopped first at the Package (Liquor) Store. After stocking up on Patrick's favorite beer and a few bottles of wine (red for me; white for his mom), I hauled my loot to the register. The lady started ringing me up, and when she flipped my case of Blue Moon over to find the bar code, we heard a rattling. She asked, "Did that sound right to you?" so we opened the case and, sure enough, one of the bottles was smashed! So I ran to get another case, holding up the growing line behind me. I hate that! But I got my booze and made my way out to the car.
Then I went over to the Exchange and picked up some essentials from the Clinique counter before braving the Commissary. I was super duper surprised, however, when I found the Commissary not very crowded (most people must have done their shopping last week, on pay day!). I found everything on my list, ran into an old shipmate from my first ship, and didn't even have to wait for a register since I had my choice of three open lanes!
I started filling the conveyer belt, and about half-way through my order, the cashier says, "Uhhh, Ma'am? I think you should stay back there; I'm going to move the rest of your order to the next register over. Don't look." Well, of course I look! And there, staring up at me from beneath the edge of the conveyer belt, is a mouse's head! With a trail of blood spotting the length of the counter... Ew. Was that thing in my food?, I wonder. As if reading my mind, the cashier assures me that he thinks the mouse was hanging out under the belt looking for food and got stuck. He checks my food just to be sure, though. Then I impress him when I flippantly mention that I wish I had my camera. Of course, he immediately whips out his phone and starts taking pictures, calling the other cashiers over to look. He told me I was cool after he took the rest of my order over to his cashier buddy's counter. I paid and left.
And then I checked all my food for mouse remains when I got home.
No comments:
Post a Comment