As many of you who have been reading my ramblings for a while know, I very unexpectedly lost my father just over two years ago. November 13, to be exact. This year seemed to be even more difficult than last year for me...perhaps it's because last year my husband distracted me with a weekend trip to Napa. Perhaps it's because this time around, I am once again pregnant, as I was when Dad passed away. So I determined that I'd do something special to mark the anniversary...
Dad was a huge James Bond fanatic. And I mean huge! To the point that my entire family has seen every Bond movie (multiple times) and that the best way to convince Dad to take our family of five to the movies with all the popcorn and coke fixins' was when a new 007 movie was out. Yep, and any time we were out of ideas for Father's Day or Birthday or Christmas gifts, a safe bet was always a James Bond DVD. Actually, one year my mom even made Dad a James Bond themed East Basket, using a giant martini glass as the "basket", and filling it with a DVD, gourmet olives and cocktail picks, and a cocktail shaker!
So, when they announced that this year Skyfall would be released on November 9th, I told my husband that I wanted to commemorate my father by seeing the movie in the theater on the anniversary of my dad's death. I told my husband that I was perfectly willing to go alone, or we could get a babysitter and he could come with me. I simply refuse to be that parent who takes a young child, who doesn't yet understand social etiquette, to the movie theater!
Hubs really didn't want me to go alone, as he thought it would be too emotional for me, remembering Dad's death and mourning the fact that this is the first Bond movie my dad will never see, so he suggested we get a babysitter. And since it's really hard for Hubs to get out on weeknights as he finishes up his thesis and Masters, he suggested we go the following weekend.
We haven't used a babysitter since March. And the "normal" sitter we've relied upon no longer lives in this area. However, I called the younger sister of a friend of mine, and she did a great job with Bunkey! Hubs and I had a wonderful time at the movies, with popcorn and all the fixins', and then came home to learn that after shutting out Wake Forest, and losses for Kansas State and Oregon, my beloved Notre Dame was #1 in the BCS!!
It was a wonderful Saturday, and I think my dad would have approved. He'd have loved the movie, he'd have been ecstatic about the football, and he'd have agreed that Hubs and I really needed a night out alone as well!
He'd also have been proud that I was able to get through the night without shedding one tear....probably another good thing about going a few days after his anniversary, rather than on the actual day, when I was a teary basket case!!
No comments:
Post a Comment