Thursday, August 5, 2010

Niagara-on-the-Lake

Just wanted to continue my post from yesterday's arrival in Niagara-on-the-Lake and post some pictures of our time in this quaint little town!

This morning, Trish made us a fabulous Vegetarian Eggs Benedict, Canadian ham, homemade homefries, fresh fruit, and fresh homemade pastries (she even had my favorite, strawberry-rhubarb jam!)... I didn't think I'd like the eggs, since I normally don't like that dish, so when asked if I'd like one or two, I asked only for one. Well, Trish's eggs benedict was made with fresh eggs straight from her chicken coop in the backyard and fresh tomatoes from her vast garden. She also used a pesto sauce instead of the traditional hollandaise, which might have made the difference in my liking the meal!!

After breakfast, and even though it was only 10:00, we decided to do a little wine tasting and to drive "the loop" through the historic part of town. We went to three of the five places recommended by our innkeepers, bought a bottle of wine at each stop (who knew that this area was Canada's own Napa Valley?!?), and then had lunch at The Little Red Rooster Cafe! After lunch, we drove through the town a little more, wishing we had more time to spend and picking out all the B&B's where we wish we could stay... I think we've decided that we want to come back some time for an antiquing and wine tasting trip!! By 1:00 we were heading toward The Falls and our last stop on this trip...

The chickens that provided our fabulous breakfast!

Us at Chateau des Charmes vineyard

The 280 acres of vines were breathtaking!!

We went on a cellar tour and despite the massive production, the entire process and methods were so charming...I just loved the "look" of the barrel rooms!


1 comment:

  1. Cool. It sounds like you are having such a good time.

    ReplyDelete