Adapted from Delicious Salad Meals, by Dot Nartan
I love cooking light in the summer time. Huge dinner-sized salads and homemade muffins are among my favorite hot-weather meals! That said, with a Hungry Man for a husband, rabbit food doesn't always cut it and I have to add enough substance to keep him from eating off an appendage. I made this salad the other night and it was a huge hit!!
1/4 cup minced fresh mint leaves
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
8 cups torn romaine lettuce
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, quartered, and sliced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 large onion, quartered
1 1/2 pounds boneless sirloin steak
4 whole wheat pita pockets, cut into wedges
Store-bought hummus
In a small bowl, whisk together the mint, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, vinegar, and oil. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350. Place the pita slices on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Toast the bread until desired crispness.
Prepare a grill pan over medium-hot heat and spray with cooking spray. Thread the onion quarters on skewers, drizzle with olive oil, and grill 5-10 minutes, turning to cook evenly and to prevent charring. Grill the steak 5-6 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Remove steak from the grill and slice into thin strips.
Add the onion to the lettuce mixture. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat. Divide salad among four dinner plates and top with steak slices. Serve pita slices and hummus along-side the salads!
I just found your blog and I really enjoyed reading it! That dinner looks so yummy...I'll have to try that sometime. I bet my hubby would love it (anything with steak is good by him!)
ReplyDeleteHey, thanks for the comment on my blog. I actually found you through Nicole at Flip Flops and Combat Boots and I liked the content of yours, but I think we have a better connection... my old roomie Ann Marie? It kinda hit me after I logged off.
ReplyDeleteAs for ND, my husband didn't do NROTC there, but he was an '05 grad (then did OCS). There was actually a guy on his sub who did NROTC and graduated the same year whom he had never met before. But he may know you, since you're a girl...
Anyway, we're actually in the process of moving to Pensacola, so that's where we are as of today.
p.s. I can't wait to get into our new apartment so I can start trying some of your recipes!
Thanks Ladies.... My mom NEVER thought she'd domesticate me, so she's more than pleasantly surprised that I now really truly ENJOY cooking! That said, I also really believe in quality in a hurry, so I refuse to make anything that'll keep me in the kitchen for more than an hour...although I have yet to attempt a major holiday meal, so I may eat my words at some point!
ReplyDeleteKate, you're so kind to think of us - thank you! You're a Marine brat like I am so I'm sure you know the whole deployment routine by now, for better or worse. Love reading your sweet blog - isn't cooking dinner for two great? :)
ReplyDeleteSure am: Marine Junior, 1 grandfather and uncle in Navy, 1 grandfather and uncle in Army, I was in the Navy, and my husband still is....I have more deployments under my belt than I know what to do with! :-) In the 2 (and-not-quite-a-half) years we've been married, Hubs and I have spent a whopping 9 months together...and our ENTIRE dating/engagement was long distance It's not always fun, but it IS always ad adventure! If you need ideas for spicing up communication while he's gone, let me know...I've come up with several!!
ReplyDelete