Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Learning to be Invisible

Today I completed my first day of Annual Training (AT) for the Reserves. Some of you will recognize this as the "two weeks a year" portion of my Reserve duties... And while I did sign up for this, knowing full well the varying high and low points of the Navy, I never imagined exactly how today would go. For one thing, I never thought that if I was ever under orders, someone wouldn't come looking for me, expecting me to be somewhere. Never, in all my time in the Navy did I expect to be looking for things to do to occupy my time. And never in my wildest dreams did I sit staring at the clock, willing the hands to move faster, or taking a leisurely lunch to eat away the hours.

Well, today was a day of firsts. Because no one was expecting me. I spent eight long hours trying to figure out something to do with my time, wondering how in the world I could possibly fill four days with nothing, knowing all that I have to accomplish when I get home. And I didn't look up to find that it was already 5:00, well into rush hour and the parking lot I affectionately call Hampton Blvd. In fact, I am pretty sure no one would have known if I was even there today. Probably because I am not qualified to stand the watch yet, which, as I understand it, is what my AT will consist of once I am qualified.

BUT...I did get a lot of paperwork-type things done that I hadn't been able to do the last two drill weekends. Did some online training that is "required" but I haven't actually done any since I was on NORMANDY nearly three years ago (they crack down on that with us, which I think is dumb). Also went through a pile of paperwork from people at my new Unit that I am supposed to be tracking, but between a Change of Command and various training meetings last Drill Weekend, I didn't get around to it. Then again, it's hard to keep track of all my paperwork when I don't really have an office to keep it...I have to carry everything with me all the time.

Also took an extended lunch because I broke d0wn and got a set of the blue cammies. $180 before getting the crap sewn on!!! Sheesh! But at least now I'll look like everyone else at my command instead of sticking out like a sore thumb in my khakis.... That said, I only stayed until 3:00....that is eight hours (well, 6.5 if you count the long lunch I took, but most of that was Navy related, so I think it counts as working!)...and I think that is enough considering this is the Reserves...and no one knows I exist here anyway! Tomorrow I want to try and knock out some of the training for the watch. The faster I get that finished the more productive I'll feel. The watches take up 8 hours, so that is an entire drill day...and if I do the first watch, then it goes 6:00-2:00, so I'll even get home at a decent hour without fighting Hampton Blvd traffic!

I also need to go over to Little Creek (gonna do it sometime this week....I don't think I should do it on my free time...might as well do it while I am getting paid to do Navy crap) to turn off my SGLI. It's dumb for them to take $27 out of a $500 paycheck (each drill weekend, after taxes) for life insurance. The odds of me getting killed on reserve duty are pretty slim....

And, that is my life in a nutshell...at least for this week. Of course, after I spend eight hours trying to find something to do, I get home and there are at least that many hours worth of little chores that I'm forced ot put off for another week while I fulfill my duties to the Navy... Such is life...I should be used ot it by now!

No comments:

Post a Comment