Those of you who are married or in long-term relationships out there will understand me when I say that there is nothing sweeter than for your husband to tell you he's proud of you. Especially when your husband is currently deployed, serving our country in a war zone, working long hours so you can fulfill a dream, taking care of you so one day you can start a family, and more. I am so incredibly proud of my husband that when he tells me he's proud of me, after I get over the Huh?!?! For what?! I just well up thinking, Wow! He's proud of me and I just do a fraction of what he's doing!
But then I stop, and realize I should be proud of myself. That my husband is right. I am talented. And I can do it all. I don't do a fraction of what he does! I work just as hard, if not harder, and I deserve for people to be proud of me too! I earned a national scholarship and graduated from a top university. I excelled during my four years as an Active Duty Naval Officer. I forwent parties and bar hopping in order to buy a house as an Ensign, pay off a car loan two years early, furnish a home with nice things, learn to cook (and pretty well if I do say so myself), went back to school, joined the Reserves...
I think that it's important to remember, that whether you're a stay-at-home mom, a part-time employee, management, or any combination of the three, you have accomplished something in life. We all have our victories, small and large, and we should celebrate them. Each one of them. From the seemingly menial, "I made it home from the grocery store during rush hour and the ice cream didn't melt." to the incredibly daunting, "I went back to work today and felt so disjointed." to the absolutely overwhelming, "My husband is deployed and the house is a mess, I still haven't put away the clean laundry, there's no food in the house worth eating (except ice cream), and I can't sleep well..."
So please, ladies who read my blog, celebrate yourself today, pat yourself on the back, and acknowledge that just because your husband might bring home the bacon, you fry it up and nourish your family with it!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment