As you know, I'm back in school. Nursing School. And school means tests. Which mean studying. And sometimes it's hard to remember how to study! Especially when you don't feel very organized.
Let me explain.
I'm a very Type-A personality. I'm one of those "everything has its place," "everything should be done a certain way," kinds of people. I'm a perfectionist. Actually, I'm a PERFECTIONIST. That's right, in ALL CAPS! So I study. And I study more. And then I start to second guess what I'm studying, so I delve even further into the weeds until I'm wasting my valuable time learning things I don't need to know. I also have high expectations for myself (and for others). This includes my instructors. I believe that if they are going to test me on material, they should teach me the material. Now, I understand the value of instructors lecturing and then expecting students to go back and do the reading, take notes, and review the material. I don't expect any form of spoon-feeding, but in an Anatomy Lab, it would be very helpful to receive at least some bonafide instruction.
Instead, for the last ten weeks, my Anatomy class has gone something like this:
- 8:00-8:45 Wait on instructor to arrive fashionably late
- 8:45-9:15 Actually get started on the topic for lecture
- 9:15-9:30 Break between lecture and lab
- 9:30-9:45 Wait for instructor to set lab up since she was late...again
- 9:45-10:15 Finish the lecture that we were supposed to have while instructor was
sleeping indoing something productive that warranted her being severely late once again - 10:15-10:30 Finally get around to the lab portion of class, whereupon the instructor tells us what page in the lab book we should reference and what models to study
- 10:30-12:00 Half the class chit-chats about
why pot should be legalizedanatomical subjects, the other half tries to discern the pictures in the lab manual and apply the images to the models upon which we'll be tested, and the instructorchecks her emailworks on a proposal to obtain another cadaver for the department
So, since I'm teaching myself Anatomy this semester, I'd like to know where my paycheck is? I certainly hope my instructor isn't getting one, since she doesn't show up on time, doesn't lecture, and doesn't demonstrate the lab. And, since I'm teaching myself Anatomy this semester, I certainly hope I do well on tomorrow's lab practical, since my instructor couldn't be bothered to show us the correct bone markings and muscle connections. I mean, I might mistake a femur for a humerus, for all the education she's provided!!
No comments:
Post a Comment