By now you all know that I grew up military. My ancestors have fought in every war this country has been a part of, even before it was a country, and sometimes even on both sides of that war. Yes, that means the Revolution. Yes, both sides of the Civil War, both World Wars, the Korean Conflict....the list goes on.
It's the only life I know. Moving every three years. Sending daddies, uncles, brothers, husbands, and myself off on deployment. Off to war.
Last Spring, you know I was out-to-here pregnant and preparing for a move from coast to coast. I was also finishing Nursing School. I lost my father early in the pregnancy. I completed a pack-out May 31st and June 1st. Cleaners came to wash the remnants of the last six years of my life in the first home I bought, the home where my husband and I crossed the threshold as newlyweds, the home where we endured four deployments, the home where we conceived our first child (but where we wouldn't - couldn't - set up his nursery) on June 2nd. I went into labor, at my mother's house, on June 3rd. I delivered my firstborn on June 4th.
Yes, in the span of five days I packed all my worldly possessions, moved out of a house, and gave birth. Six hours after being released from the hospital, on my due date, I attended my little brother's graduation ceremony, newborn in tow. Seventeen days later I boarded a plane with a 19-day old baby and flew from Virginia to California.
It's the only life I know. Always moving. Always a project. Always an event. Fitting as much into a 24-hour day as possible.
And yet here I am, just fourteen months later, preparing for more of the same.
We knew that when we moved here last June that we were temporary residents, as military families are at every duty station. We knew that we'd only be here for eighteen months. We knew that were weren't going to let that hinder our lives, our plans, our futures. We knew we could make anything work.
And yet here I am, feeling as apprehensive as I do about every life change.
Because in just four short months my husband will graduate with an MBA, courtesy of the Navy. We will pack up the car and drive back to the East Coast the very next day. Back to Virginia. Back home.
And just three months after that we will be meeting our second bundle of joy!
That's right.....you read correctly.
Another coast-to-coast move. Another baby.
This is my life.
More to come.
PS When I posted that I had some announcements to make a while ago, these were the actual surprises. But too many folks were guessing, and I hadn't yet been to the doctor for official confirmation. Instead, I made these announcements, which are also true and for which I am still so excited and proud and happy for my family, but I hinted that there might be even more to share in the future. I just wanted to throw you guys off and keep my secrets for a little while longer. Hope you don't mind too much!
PS When I posted that I had some announcements to make a while ago, these were the actual surprises. But too many folks were guessing, and I hadn't yet been to the doctor for official confirmation. Instead, I made these announcements, which are also true and for which I am still so excited and proud and happy for my family, but I hinted that there might be even more to share in the future. I just wanted to throw you guys off and keep my secrets for a little while longer. Hope you don't mind too much!
So does back home mean that you will boot the renters out and move back into your house? Just wondered if you will in fact be setting up a nursery there, just a couple years later than expected :)
ReplyDeleteNo.... we're actually going to be about three hours north of our house, and Hubs seems to think that commute isn't ideal! Who knew?!? :-) So we'll keep renting and we're looking to buy something about 180 miles away. BUT, the good news is that we'll be 30-45 minutes away from my older brother, 2 aunts/uncles, and only 2.5 hours from my mom/little brother. So, we'll get to set up a nursery...just not in the townhouse! :-)
Delete