How in the heck is it already Friday?! This week has just flown by for me, yet I don't feel as if I've done much productive. Guess that means I need to make the most of my weekend...except that I'm Drilling this weekend. Attending a leadership course, actually. But at least I only have to drive one hour away from my house rather than the usual two hours each way... But I digress. It's Five Question Friday time, so let's get to it!
1. What is a must in a hotel room? Umm...a bed?! I'm not too picky, to be perfectly honest. I never plan to spend much time in a hotel room, so as long as there's a comfy bed and plenty of towels, I'm happy. I really love the hotel the Navy gets for me during Drill Weekends because they have pillows labeled "firm" and "soft" so I can take my pick! Having a fridge/microwave is also nice, especially when I have my little guy with me and need to prep his food and store his milk. And free wi-fi is a near must, but I've been able to do without for short spurts. So, while I may not be too picky, I guess it does depend on the length of my stay, who's with me, and if I'm at the hotel for business or pleasure...
2. Which Olympic event would you be best at? Swimming. Hands down. I swam competitively from first grade through twelfth. To all the haters saying Michael Phelps isn't really the greatest Olympian because other athletes don't have to opportunity to win gold as many time in one Olympic Games, I say, either pick another sport, or jump in a pool and even try to accomplish what he's done! Be proud that he's American and representing our country! Be proud he promotes sport and activity for young kids in this day of childhood obesity! And then tell me what the "fair" way is to figure out who the "greatest" is because medal count is about the most fair you can do, if you ask me!
3. What's your stance on the Chick-fil-A subject? I don't want to get into politics here. But the owner of Chick-Fil-A was asked a question. He answered said question. Was he supposed to lie? Avoid the question? What would you have done? Mr Cathy (the CEO/owner) has long been known to be a conservative Christian. He's allowed to have an opinion. He's never said that he'd refuse employment or service to a homosexual person; he simply said that he didn't agree with same-sex marriage. So, I'm not really going to say how I feel, because that is my business; however, I'm absolutely appalled at the folks on Facebook I saw that said the PR director (I think that was his position) who died of a heart attack recently got what he deserved! Are you kidding?!?! First of all, no one said he agreed with his boss; he was just doing his job. Secondly, no one deserves to die because their belief isn't "mainstream" or "popular" or PC. I took exceptional offense to this because my own father could have some pretty strong beliefs in some controversial areas...was his massive fatal stroke, at 57, that left my entire family in a tailspin, something he (or we) deserved?! I think not. End rant.
4. One thing you said you'd never do as a parent, but totally have. I'll let you know when my little guy is a bit older and I have some more experience in this area!
5. What's the weirdest thing you've ever found at a yard sale? Like Mama M, I just don't do yard sales. They creep me out. I don't want used linens or clothing (gives me the creeps). I don't trust used electronics to still be in working order. I don't even like used cars because I'd rather own a new car for 10+ years and know exactly how well it was taken care of, what maintenance was performed, and where that dent actually came from. So yard sales, they just don't turn me on. Guess I'm a snob... Oh well.
I agree with you on three. I just can't believe how upset everyone on both sides seems to be. Such a shame.
ReplyDeleteAs for #2, I know that's in response to my post. What about percentage of medals per events competed in? It's obviously not as tidy to show on a screen, especially with America's "more is better" mentality, but it's worth looking at. And if everyone chose swimming, we wouldn't have the Olympics! I think all of the US athletes are promoting sport and hopefully inspiring little kids to get into it. I'm not sure what initially prompted me to do gymnastics as a little girl, but I stuck with it after cheering on the US team in 1992 and 1996.
ReplyDeleteAnd the CFA stuff...ugh, I don't want to hear about it from either side any more! I hadn't heard those comments about the PR director, thank God. That's just effing mean.
Actually, no, it was in response to all the newscasters and web correspondants, etc who were writing about it days ago, before I even saw your post. In fact, I had this post scheduled before I even saw yours! I'd never attack one person's post on my blog...that's just mean! In particular, I was referencing a quote from another athlete who said that swimming wasn't hard and that anyone (to include this other athlete) could swim...well, I seriously doubt they could beat Phelps! And yes, I totally agree that ALL our athletes are promoting sports...I only hope they continue to use that celebrity/role model status for good and give the next generation someone to emulate!
DeleteYour percentage idea is a pretty good one.... But what about sports like basketball, with only one event? You can't really say that a one-time gold medalist from that sport is the "greatest" Olympian just because they won 100% of the gold medals for which they competed...nor would you want to say that the silver or bronze medalists from that same event are in the same "greatest" category, though they would have also medaled in 100% of their events. Simply doesn't compare to the Shannon Millers, Michael Phelps, and all the other "greats" we've seen in Olympics past. Seems there's not really a "fairest way" to claim the title....but total medal count is definitely impressive when you talk about one person winning 21 (and possibly more, of which 17 are gold!) over four Olympics! Just to put that in perspective, the next highest medalist has 18 total medals and only NINE were gold...and she was a gymnast! Another interesting thing to look at is that of the 32 folks with 10 or more total medals, 13 are gymnasts and 9 are swimmers.... I didn't realize gymnastics had that many events...nor did I realize that those athletes had the "staying power" to compete in enough Olympics to accumulate that many medals! Shows how much I know! :-)
DeleteCongrats on your new little man in your life. Also, I'm with ya on #3. People are so mean! I'm really tired of hearing both sides. I'm not going to have any friends left on facebook b/c I keep deleting people who say really ridiculous things. ha!
ReplyDelete