Monday, July 16, 2012

Highlights

I'm warning you, this post is all over the place emotionally.  There's excitement, anger, annoyance, sadness, hope, and more.  And, due to the nature of my mood today (it's pretty somber really) I'm going to be posting in bullet form, something you know I do rarely.  Prepare yourself.  With ice cream, of course...

  • Yesterday I began the process for my next, and final, round of nursing school pre-requisites.  Yes, I already have my LPN license.  But the goal has always been a second bachelor's degree, some work experience, and then a Master's.  So I've been doing my research (more to come, along with a big announcement or two), found the program which is my top choice, and learned that I need three more classes.  I'm hoping to take them all online from Virginia schools so that, even though I'm in California right now, I can take advantage of in-state tuition.  I need to make some phone calls today.  Anyway, there's a possibility I'll be enrolled at three different schools at the same time while I finish these classes.  It's a little daunting, but I'll manage I'm sure.
  • We've had more drama with our tenant and property manager at our rental property back in Virginia.  The new tenant moved in a month ago and now all of a sudden she wants an alarm system.  That's fine, since the house is already wired and a control panel and motion detectors are already there.  But she wanted to go with a different (more expensive?  makes no sense to me, but whatever!) company who wanted to tear down our equipment and install their own.  I didn't want more holes in my house.  We finally got it sorted out so that she could use the company of her choice with my existing equipment (after I had to yell at our property manager for being rude to me).  The property manager (why are they always such huge idiots...at least the two Hubs and I have worked with in the past are) keeps calling me and trying to get me to call the original company to get the access/programming codes so that the new company can come set stuff up.  She made a big point of saying it's the tenant's responsibility to do the research and make the proposal for what she wants.  However, I'm paying the property manager a pretty penny to do what I want and to act in my best interests, so why is she calling me and telling me that I need to make long distance phone calls and sit on hold for hours on end to get a code that I'm not gonna use?!  I haven't heard anything in a few days, after sending her a very pointed text message, so hopefully it's all resolved.
  • Bunkey wet through his diaper last night.  He woke up soaked.  Guess I needed to change his sheets anyway.
  • I got a phone call from my mama this morning.  I knew as soon as I looked at the phone what she was about to tell me.  When she asked if I'd received her text, that confirmed it, without me even looking at the message.  My Nana (my dad's mom) passed away early this morning.  She was nearly 88 (I think, I'll have to ask my mom) and suffering from multiple health issues, but the most serious and severe was kidney disease.  She'd been placed in hospice a few days ago and my uncle and his wife, along with my mom and brothers, had been moving all her things out of her apartment (she'd recently moved from Independent Living, to Assisted Living, to a Nursing home, all in the same facility, in between various hospital stays).  I know she's happy to be out of pain and with Gramps and my dad now, but I'm sorry I wasn't able to say goodbye.  I tried to speak to her on the phone, but she was often sleeping.  I talked to her a couple of weeks ago.  I'd just arranged for flowers to be sent to her for her birthday.  They were to be delivered tomorrow and were already in transit, in fact.  FTD was wonderful and refunded the charge, even though the flowers are still going to be delivered.  I told my mom to leave the flowers for the nurses who have been taking care of Nana.
I'm sure I'm missing something, but those are the highlights of my day.  Hubs, Bunkey, and I went on a Historic Walking Tour of Monterey this past weekend and had a fun day.  I'll post some pics and details of that when I feel more chipper...

4 comments:

  1. Dang you're right, I did need ice cream for this one....well there is always time for some this evening. What an emotional trek you have been going through lately. First, so sorry for the loss of your grandma. That is really rough even when you know what is coming.
    Classes at 3 different schools? Yikes! That sounds crazy! I am tired just thinking about it.
    Can't wait to hear about the historic walking tour...because I am a nerd like that :). Big hugs for everything you are dealing with right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your Nana :(

    Also, I'm pretty sure that as a military spouse, you get in-state tuition in any state?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not all states have that agreement; and it usually is for you wanting to attend a school in the state in which you reside. I'm living in CA but taking online classes from a VA school and want in-state tuition, so there's extra paperwork, since I am in fact a VA resident.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. My grandma is 92 and just yesterday called and said she's "depressed." As much as we all know she's ready to go, it will not make receiving that phone call any easier. Good luck with school! I'm sure you'll knock out those last few classes with no problem. You can come to my school (online) and get a spouse discount of 25%! :)

    ReplyDelete