Friday, July 27, 2012

5QF: Chores and Olympics

Wow! Is it really Friday again? All week I've had in my head that Hubs is playing in a golf tournament today and that the Gilroy Garlic Festival is this weekend...but I've forgotten that I have an appointment to go get a new military ID this morning! Thank goodness I checked my email for the reminder when I woke up! And no, this isn't my dependent ID either...it's my Active/Reserves ID, so I have to get my uniform all pressed and looking sharp. Yet another reason I'm grateful I saw my reminder email this morning, because since it's not a Drill Weekend, my uniform is wadded in a ball waiting to be washed and ironed for the next Drill Weekend and I gotta get a jump-start on that! Can't have a wrinkled uniform for your ID card!

1. What is the funniest thing you saw on Facebook/twitter this week? Well, it's not so much funny as it is just plain cool! Earlier this week they announced that Mariel Zagunis is going to lead Team USA into the Olympics at tonight's Opening Ceremony! Why is that so cool, you ask? Well, because she went to Notre Dame (due to her three Olympic appearances, so has yet to graduate, and she was a freshman there when I was a senior!

2. What is your favorite Olympic event? Swimming. Hands down. And no, before you accuse me of jumping on the Michael Phelps bandwagon, let me stop you. I was a competitive swimmer from first grade through twelfth, so I've always loved USA Swimming! And I followed Michael's swimming career during his first Olympic run in Sydney! Yes, everyone knows about the 14 gold medals he won in Athens and Beijing, but very few remember that he'd already been to the Olympics as the youngest male to make the US Team at just 15 years old! So yes, I love swimming, and I already have all the races scheduled on my DVR so I won't miss a minute!

3. Do your kids to chores around the house? If so, what are they and how old are the children? Do they get paid for them? My son is only a year old, so no chores yet. But he will have them as soon as he's old enough (around 3, probably). We'll probably start him on an allowance when he starts school, and it'll probably be something like a quarter for each chore at first. I'm a firm believer in chores, and I had them growing up, and they instilled great habits (like making my bed every morning). That said, once I was in high school and able to have my own after-school job, my parents did away with the allowance (though I still had chores and was expected to help around the house) and instead put gas in my car every now and then. I also babysat my little brother quite a bit and was compensated with either money or I could "save up" for a new outfit or something. I was frequently "working off" a new pair of shoes!!

4. If you get bad service/food do you complain or keep quiet? It has to be really bad, like my food never showing up, a super rude server, or something like that. I'm not one of those people who complains just to get a free meal (I know a few people who do that and it rubs me the wrong way big time!) but I do feel that management needs to be made aware of how their employees treat customers so they can conduct some training to remedy the situation!

5. If you could pick ONE frivolous item for your home, what would it be? (massive room sized closet? swimming pool? greenhouse? etc...) Right now I'd settle for a forever home! We're military, so we move frequently and I wouldn't want to have that one perfect feature only to move away in a few years. But at the top of my dream house wish list? A large, roomy, gourmet kitchen with a nearby herb garden; a bright, screened-in sunroom; a massive closet (better yet, two large his and hers closets!); and a spa-like master bathroom featuring double sinks (a must) and a huge walk-in shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment