Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Finale

To round out my trip to Hawaii, I did something near and dear to my heart.  My parents met in Hawaii in 1977.  My dad was a new Marine, just out of The Basic School following his graduation from the Naval Academy.  My mom was a recent college graduate who'd moved back in with her parents when she discovered my grandfather (an Army Colonel) was being transferred to Hawaii.  I've heard many stories of my parents' courtship, and many of their adventures begin or end with "a drive across the Pali" which was the main highway (at least now it's a highway) between their houses.  The road goes through some very steep mountains and can make for a precarious drive since it's frequently drizzling in the middle of the lush jungle, so if my mom was driving, my dad would often escort her in his own car to ensure her safety.

Anyway, as I said, I've heard many stories of my parents' dating days, and came to Oahu armed with a list of landmarks special to them: their old homes, places my dad had taken my mom, special restaurants, the exact location on the exact beach where my dad proposed, and more.  But as I prepared to take this trip down their memory lane, I'd start crying, missing my dad, angry that he's no longer alive, and I just couldn't bring myself to go.  I couldn't bear to see the house where Dad lived with five other Marines, remember the story of Dad's proposal when they were nearly accosted by a motorcycle gang on Valentine's Day 1978, snoop around at the cabin where my grandfather caught my parents "camping" after Dad returned home from deployment.  I just couldn't do it.

But I made myself drive across the Pali.  If I only did one thing it needed to be that.  That road that linked my dad's house to my mom's and forever forged their path together.  I stopped at the lookout about half-way across for a moment of reflection.  Walking to the vista, I had to concentrate more on my footing than my emotions, however, as the wind at that high elevation was strong enough to blow me right over...and it nearly did!  Despite the overcast skies, the view was amazing!



After a few minutes, I went back to my car, drove the rest of the way across The Pali, and enjoyed an amazing dinner of coconut shrimp with honey mustard and plum sauces and mango sorbet at Haleiwa Joe's Kaneohe.  It was a fabulous meal and was a great way to round out my time in Hawaii.

My few remaining days on-island included dinner with family friends (this couple knew my parents right after they were married), lunch with my first XO who is stationed there now, and one more afternoon basking on the beach.

As wonderful as Hawaii is, home is where the heart is, and my heart absolutely swelled when I arrived back home last Saturday to the smiles and hugs of my husband and son!!

No comments:

Post a Comment