As moms, it's generally understood that there will be some days where we live in yoga pants, don't shower, don't brush our teeth, and forget all about getting any sort of nourishment other than the cold remnants of our 11-month-old's grilled cheese sandwich.
So on those few days where everything goes according to plan and I am able to get a work-out in, prep dinner, and take my shower before 2:00, I get a little excited. Like the other day. By 10:00 (yes, 10 am!!!) I was ready to take a shower and make a list of the errands I needed to knock out as soon as Bunkey was up from his nap. It was a Thursday, the day we used to normally go out for dinner (we recently switched to Fridays due to Hubs' schedule, but every now and then we'll still go out on a Thursday) and I wasn't feeling inspired for dinner options, so I thought I'd suggest dinner out at a new favorite restaurant.
Given the fact that Hubs only has one class on Fridays, and that class doesn't start until 10, I figured this would be an easy sell. I took extra time with my makeup, put on a cute outfit that I could wear to run errands and out to dinner, and didn't even think for two seconds that Hubs would be violently opposed to a dinner date.
Well, you can guess how that worked out, given the theme of this post!
Hubs came home early, ecstatic about the gorgeous weather, and voiced a desire to go play golf. When I told him I didn't have anything planned for dinner, he countered with reminding me that his new workout buddies get to the gym early so even though his class doesn't start until 10, he has a 5:00 wake-up call. He added that if we were going out he'd like to get a drink with dinner and couldn't do that with such an early gym session. When I suggested Bunkey and I meet him at the clubhouse, he called and found that they stopped serving at 3 (it was already 3:30). When I asked if he could stop and pick something up on the way home so we could still eat together, he told me that really he was meeting a buddy to play, and they weren't going to start until 5:00.
I tried really hard not to show my disappointment. And, much as I wanted to get upset and ask my husband why he couldn't possibly just tell me from the very beginning that he was meeting a buddy to play golf and would be missing dinner (although I'd prefer he at least consult with me prior to making plans, the same as I do with him), I reminded myself that if he played golf on a Thursday, then I could legitimately lay claim to the weekend for family time.
But, it was a waste of makeup.
And a waste of my perfect blowout.
And a waste of a cute outfit.
But at least I had the fixins for some tasty quesadillas for my supper!

I hate when I have a well though out plan in my head, and before I'm even able to tell my husband about it, he comes to me with a different plan. Hopefully you got some good family time this weekend though!
ReplyDelete