I don't know about y'all, but take out has saved my life the last couple of days! I found a fabulous new recipe I wanted to try Saturday night and bought all the ingredients last week during my weekly grocery run.
On Saturday morning I pulled the chicken breasts out of the freezer to thaw while I was running a few errands. When I got home, I unwrapped the chicken and was overwhelmed with a pungent smell of, well, bad meat. Nothing else about it. But, not having anything else on hand to prepare for our meal, I asked Hubs to come over and take a whiff. He declared he could smell the chicken from the sofa, a few feet away from the kitchen, and agreed that it was better to be safe than sorry and we should toss it. We'd already stopped at In-n-Out Burger for a mid-afternoon "snack" or burgers on our way home from a shopping trip and really didn't want more fast food, so we settled for sandwiches for dinner. Not thrilling, but what can you do?!
On Sunday, I pulled another packet of chicken breasts (from a new package...I buy the breasts that are several packets of two breasts each wrapped together) out of the freezer and let it defrost in the 'fridge during the day. I was out shopping with a girlfriend most of the afternoon, and when I got home, the meat was still pretty frozen, so I thought I'd quick-thaw it in some luke warm water in the sink. Well, I opened that packet of chicken and gave it a sniff. There was that same pungent smell. Not quite as bad as Saturday, but still there. I checked the date on the package. Fine. I asked Hubs to come smell the meat again and see what he though. Same deal; didn't smell as bad, but neither of us trusted its freshness.
Well, thank Heaven for take out Vietnamese! We tossed the chicken and I fed Bunkey while Hubs ran a few miles down the road for take out pho noodle bowls to bring home a relatively light meal.
Please cross your fingers that tomorrow I'll finally thaw out some chicken that is fit to eat so I can try that new recipe before all the remaining ingredients go the way of my poultry....and so that we won't be forced into three dinners of fast food!

No comments:
Post a Comment