Quite some time ago, a dear in-real-life friend and fellow blogger, Melissa, sent out a plea for toddler-friendly foods that were healthy, fun, and tasty to the more mature adult palate. She was battling a picky eater at dinnertime and needed inspiration for something he might enjoy!
I offered her my Chicken Parmigiana and Chicken Enchilada recipes which were both met with great success. If I remember correctly, her son even asked for seconds of the Chicken Parm (which is also my husband's favorite meal)! When I became pregnant myself, it occurred to me that, despite the fact that my mom assures me I was never a picky eater, my son may be a different story. So far he's gobbled up anything I've offered him, but that doesn't mean he'll continue his adventurous foodie spirit into the toddler years.
My philosophy right now is that I refuse to make a different meal for each family member. I'm not a short order cook and I don't want my children to be under the impression that I'll cater to their every whim and create a dish just for them...and a separate dish for everyone else. But I'm a realist, and I am well aware that frustration and a desire for my children to have something - anything - in their bellies might have me changing my tune at some point.
So, while I do occasionally make an elaborate meal, I pay attention to every dish, every ingredient, and try to come up with meals that will appeal to kids, placing those recipes in my back pocket and waiting for when my son makes the foray into non-pureed foods!
Which brings me, finally, to the real point of this post! A preview of what's cooking in my kitchen this month! Come over to my cooking blog and find out how to make these meals that, in the words of Kix cereal, are "kid-tested and mother-approved"!
![]() |
| Tuna Casserole |
![]() |
| Individual Chicken Pot Pies |
![]() |
| Homemade Meatballs a la Zicarelli |



I was a ridiculously picky eater (and I'm still a bit picky), so this one of my big concerns! All of those look pretty good :) Hopefully if I like it, baby will like it too, right??
ReplyDelete