Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Can of Worms

Yesterday I opened a can of worms.  Without even knowing it!  Hubs laughed at me and then called me an idiot.  I'd say it's pretty funny now, but that would probably be taken the wrong way, thus opening another can of worms and confrontation is contrary to one of my New Year's Resolutions (not letting emotions go into over-drive and take things out of context).

Oh, you want to know about the worms?  OK...here we go!

Yesterday morning, I was feeding Bunkey his morning bottle.  There was nothing good on TV so I logged on to Facebook.  No less than 70% of my friends' status updates had the word "Tebow" in them somewhere.  I didn't read them, but just scrolled through, looking to see if a friend had had her baby yet.

When I was done (no baby, by the way) I flippantly posted that I was sick of hearing about Tebow and I didn't think he was that cool.

What I did not mention in my post is that in all honesty, I know nothing about Tim Tebow, other than that he plays for the Broncos and that a lot of people think he's one bad-ass quarterback.

Well, many people responded to my post, apparently taking my remark totally out of context.  Nearly every remark was about Tebow's religious beliefs and his personal morals.  I had to ask my husband what in the world they were talking about.

After he laughed and called me a moron (see above), he told me I must be living under a rock if I don't know about the love-hate relationship hundreds of people have with the way Tebow lives his life and practices his beliefs.

To be perfectly blunt, I'm glad Tim Tebow appears to be an upstanding citizen.  I'm glad he has a moral compass.  But that does not make him my moral compass.  Don't misunderstand me: according to my husband, I share many of Tebow's beliefs.  The only difference is that no one cares about mine.

That is my point, really.  We, as a society, put a little too much weight on the goings-on of celebrities.  There are so many more important things going on in the world.  Tebow's religion, Sarah Palin's daughter fed up with Hollywood and moving back to Alaska, Christina Aguilera's fluctuating weight and how her boyfriend loves her shape.

I simply don't care about those things.  Sure it's fun to read the tabloids and see what crazy things celebs are up to these days.  But to take up serious news time discussing a professional athlete's religious preferences?  I'd rather spend my time learning about (and practicing) my own religion.

Ya know, on November 11th (Veteran's Day), at the height of the Penn State scandal, I posted something along the lines of "Stop worrying about Jo-Pa and thank a Veteran today!" No one assumed that I was condoning child molestation.  But now all of a sudden I'm a God-hating atheist?!

Like I said...there are more important things to discuss...

....like when my friend's baby is going to arrive!  :-)

2 comments:

  1. You know I was just giving you a hard time. I pretty much know zero about him as well. I only happened to catch a clip of him talking about his faith and thought - how awesome. I constantly hear other celebs downing him for throwing religion in everyone's face. He's not. He's witnessing. Totally cool :). Wasn't trying to cause a riot on your fb page :). You know I love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...

    Personally, I loved your post and have thought the exact same thing myself, many times. I am SO tired of hearing about him! He isnt the first celebrity or sports figure to be religious. And Im pretty sure God doesnt care about the outcome of a football game. =) Hopefully it will all calm down after the Patriots win this weekend! =)

    ReplyDelete