After a morning at the neighborhood pool, I had yet another new experience up my sleeve to round out a fun-filled weekend with my mom and little brother! We headed a mere fifteen minutes from the house to The Plains for Twilight Polo at Great Meadows.
For just $30 a carload, you get full access to the grounds, admission to three polo matches, and a great atmosphere. Picnicking is encouraged, and we complied with a basket of sandwiches, chips, and cookies...and of course a cooler full of choice beverages (you can be sure that some bourbon was present given that it's practically a requirement for equine sporting events in the South!). We spread a blanket (ok, a padded mat that the movers left after delivering our new dining room furniture six months ago) and enjoyed our meal on the grassy knoll overlooking the field.
Mama got the closest to figuring out the rules of the game and we each took turns going for a walk with Buddy Man to keep him occupied. There was plenty of space, the venue was doggy-friendly, and the evening was something I'm so glad I was able to experience. Oh, and did I mention that last night was Military-Appreciation Night, so with an Active Duty ID our car was free?
If you're ever in the Northern Virginia area in the summertime, I highly recommend Great Meadows as a fabulous group activity, family adventure, or even an out-of-the-ordinary date night! For more ideas on fun outings, check out the travel tabs at the top of my page and search by city!


No comments:
Post a Comment