Friday, June 28, 2013

Seven Oaks Lavender Farm & City Tavern

Growing up military, it seemed we were constantly in a new place, even when that new place was "home".  As such, it could have been very easy for us to be bitter about being far from home, away from family, and perpetual newcomers.  My parents were wisely of the opinion that if they made things fun, my brothers and I were sure to follow suit and view our nomadic life as one big adventure.  In doing so, weekends were often full of family outings, scoping out new places, exploring our new hometown, and experiencing all that the area had to offer.  It's a goal I've set for myself as an adult, and something that has become even more important since having a family...especially with the impending start of a new chapter of my life in nursing school and then going back to work.  I want my sons to understand that family time is important.  I want them to have fun childhood memories.  I want them, years from now, to look back at this time with a smile and say, "Remember that time when we...".

And, not only do I want to build wonderful memories for my children, but I'm not the type of person who is wont to sit still for long.  I don't like sitting around on the weekends.  I don't like "ordinary" and I don't like doing the same old thing week after week.  I love having new experiences, seeing new things, and sharing them with my loved ones.  So, when my family comes to visit, I can't stand to simply visit.  I want to go do something.  Something out of the ordinary.  Something we can't do anywhere.  Something that is a one-of-a-kind experience.

So, when Mama A and Little Brother came for a weekend visit, I had 48 hours of fun planned.  It's a bit more difficult with two little boys, but it's certainly not impossible, and definitely not an excuse to just stay home and sit around for a few days!  Instead, we hopped in the car and drove about half an hour to Seven Oaks Lavender Farm.


Lavender is at the height of its blooming season throughout June and into early July.  For $6 admission, you can visit the farm and pick as much fragrant lavender as your heart desires!  At just 12 cents per stem, that's a pretty fair price for a wonderful bouquet...not to mention the wonderful photo opportunities for your family!  There is plenty of space to take a picnic and enjoy it under the shade of the many trees on the property or on the huge porch of the farmhouse.  Bring some extra cash and enjoy a cold glass of lavender lemonade or lavender sweet tea while you cool off.

Also of note are the classes and workshops available at Seven Oaks.  Yoga classes, early morning Doggy Days, wreath- and sachet-making classes, and more are all available throughout the month.  An adorable giftshop is on-site with dozens of fragrant products, all made from lavender grown on the farm, as well.  I was super excited to come home with some lavender handsoap and wish I'd bought a jar of the honey and jam as well!

Following a fun morning of chasing butterflies at Seven Oaks, we drove in to Old Town Manassas for lunch and a bit of window shopping.  Unfortunately, a sore knee for my mom, a cranky toddler, and an impending storm cut the shopping short.  But we did enjoy a yummy lunch at City Tavern Grille!  My BLT and coke hit the spot, but if you're looking for a burger and more adult beverage, this is also the place for you!  Outdoor patio dining, bellying up to the bar, or a quiet booth outfitted with highchairs, City Tavern has it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment