Sunday, November 20, 2011

Will you go out with me?

Six years ago today, I'd recently moved into my first apartment.  I invited my parents, along with their good friends, to come over after church for breakfast.  I know I made scrambled eggs with onions, peppers, and cheese mixed in, but I can't remember what else we had.  Maybe nothing.  Who knows?  My menu planning wasn't nearly what it is now!

Mid-way through breakfast, my phone rang.  It was Hubs, then only another Junior Officer on my ship (we'll refer to him as LTJG Hottie for now), asking if I'd like to see a movie.  I told him I had guests over and that I'd call him later in the day.

Then I proceeded to basically kick my parents and their friends out of my apartment.  I told my mom that "the cute guy from my ship" had called and wanted to see a movie.

Of course, it being mid-day on a Sunday, I was't sure if this was a date or not.  I called LTJG Hottie back and told him my guests were gone and I'd love to see a movie.  We'd been flirty and hung out with some other Junior Officers from the ship before, but as of yet, nothing had happened between the two of us.  There was a strict rule on our ship that no one should date (this is more strict then the normal rules restricting officers from dating enlisted and dating amongst two people in the same direct chain of command).  

I asked if he'd like me to meet him at the mall (it was between our two houses).  He said he'd pick me up and got my address.

By this time, it was mid-afternoon.  Hottie picked me up, and since I didn't know if it was a date, I chose jeans, some loafer-like bootie-type shoes, and a pale pink fitted sweatshirt.  Not too date-like, but still cute, just in case.  We went to the mall and watched a horrible movie.  Hottie bought my ticket.

At this point I still couldn't tell if it was a date or if he was just being friendly.

By the time the movie was over, it was probably close to 8:00.  I hadn't had dinner, based on the time Hottie picked me up.  We didn't get food at the movies.  Hottie brought me back to my apartment building and didn't really make a move to get out of the car, confusing me further about whether or not we were on a date.

So I asked him if he'd like a beer.  I didn't have much in the fridge, but I knew I had Corona and sugar cookies.  And I hadn't had dinner.  And I was starving.

Needless to say, Hottie came up, we had a couple beers and some cookies and chatted.  And at some point he kissed me.  Right there in my tiny apartment kitchen, up against the stove.  We moved to the living room, but my new sofa had not yet been delivered, so I sat on his lap in my fold up soccer mom chair that I'd saved from my college dorm room.

We made out like teenagers.

And that, my friends, is how Hubs and I got together.  By breaking the rules at work.  By keeping a secret until well after Hubs transferred to a new command.

If you asked me six years ago what my life would look like now, I'm fairly certain I couldn't dream up something this great.  I had no idea that we'd become serious.  That we'd continue to date even when 600 miles and dozens of "at sea" periods separated us.  That we'd get engaged and I'd plan a wedding while deployed.  That we'd be married, survive three more deployments, have a baby, and move across the country.

No, six years ago I couldn't dream any of that up.

But now?  I wouldn't change one thing.  One minute.  Well.  Maybe one.  My dad would still be alive.  But as far as Hubs and I are concerned?  No.  Not one thing.  I love the life we've built together.  I love the little life we made together.  I love the family we created, the memories we're building, and the future we're looking toward.

I love it all!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, congrats! Sounds like a great first date!
    I just got caught up on your blog, so... Your Napa trips sounds like so much fun! We cant wait to tour the wine country there one day. Bunkey was super cute in his Halloween costume too! SO glad he is feeling better and you guys are doing well!

    ReplyDelete