If you missed last week's post, I started a miniseries of what products I've found useful in the first two months of mommyhood. You know what they say about opinions, so I won't get upset if you don't share mine, as long as you respect it! Hope you find some useful information!
This week, I'm tackling bedtime and bathtime! At two months old, Bunkey is taking four 8-ounce bottles every day (he's on a 4-hour schedule, eating at 6:00, 10:00, 2:00, and again at 6:00). Hubs and I don't eat on a set schedule, since it's all a matter of when I'm done cooking our meal in relation to Bunkey eating, but at somepoint after everyone's fed, I'll give Bunkey his bath, get him in jammies, read a story and rock a bit in the nursery, and then put him down.
- Mattresses: Mattresses should be firm and new (less than 5 - 8 ish years old) to reduce the risk of SIDS. Mine from PBKids is super firm and a SUPER snug fit for the crib, which is nice for safety, but hard for changing the sheets. But I'll take safety for baby over ease for me any day. So thus far I'm happy with what we have!
- Bassinet: Some of my friends swear by them, others don’t. I keep ours downstairs for daytime napping so I don't have to run up and down all the time. I also picked one that goes with my family room, since that is where it “lives” and that I can fill with stuffed animals/toys or even silk flowers to use as decor later...all about repurposing!
- Play Yard: For travel, keeping your baby put in your family room, etc. Graco Pack 'n' Play is the most common brand, however, mine isn’t Graco, but it was highly rated on Babies R Us and Consumer reports. This really came in handy during the moving in process before the crib was set up! And right now it's neatly packed up in the closet, which is nice since it doesn't take up too much space... We have a trip coming up in November, so we'll bring it with us for the hotel rather than using a dirty hotel crib!
- Baby positioners: Baby positioners (which were originally supposed to keep a baby on its back to reduce SIDS) are now not recommended because they can lead to SIDS, according to my doctors.
- Sheets: I have 2 of the crib liners (think they're flannel), 3 Carter's keep me dry pads, and 8 sheets, as well as 4 sheet savers. So far I think that is the right number for each thing. I use a mattress liner (similar to a fitted sheet) directly on the mattress. Then I use a pad on top of that, and then the fitted sheet. On top of the sheet I use a sheet saver. I haven't changed the crib pad yet, but I have a spare just in case I need it. The pads and sheets probably get changed 1-2 times per week and the sheet savers (I put them under Bunkey's head since he tends to spit up at night) get changed almost every day.
- Halo Sleep Sack: This comes in two versions. The first is for newborns and has like wings that you can velcro across for swaddling. And after that they're just in the sack, with a onesie underneath it. The theory here is that you put the baby in the sack instead of using a blanket to help reduce SIDS risks associated with using a blanket. Bunkey has not been swaddled since he was in the hospital. I put him in a gown to sleep and then covered him with a receiving blanket (as well as a heavier blanket if it was cool). I know it's against the SIDS rules, but that is what he's more comfy with. I tried to swaddle him (in the swaddlers) and he screamed. He DOES like the SleepSac style (I put a long-sleeved onesie on him, and then the sleep blanket is sleeveless and zips up, but allows him to kick his feet and move his arms). So now I have all these Swaddlers that I'm not using....but perhaps Baby #2 will like them more. We'll see.
- Socks and sleepers (with feet): Just get a bunch, from what I’ve heard. Bunkey lives in sleepers all day, and until they can wear shoes, the socks are clutch for keeping little toes warm during playtime or running errands
- Monitors: I went ahead and got a video monitor (some moms love them, some think they’re a waste of money) just so I could sneak a peek while I’m making dinner or something… I’ve also heard they’re great during the toddler years to make sure they’re actually napping! Since I have Bunkey downstairs with me during the day, I haven't needed this much until the evening when Hubs and I are still downstairs watching TV. I think I'm going to move the monitor into my bedroom just so I can keep an eye on him. I think as he gets older and starts napping upstairs I'll move the monitor back downstairs.
- Hooded towels: I only use these one time before washing simply because babies have accidents while going between the bath and their diaper. No matter how many kids I have, my mom swears no mother learns the trick for getting babies (particularly boys) into a diaper before they’ve messed up the towel.
- Night light: Clutch for going in to check on the baby or even change him without jarring him awake!
- White noise: I have the Sleep Sheep and also a small CD player to play lullabies to calm Bunkey.
No comments:
Post a Comment