Thursday, September 16, 2010

I have a favor to ask...

OK, I hate making people feel sorry for me, but I'm feeling sorry for myself right now and I have a favor to ask...

I spent all day at a hospital today.  Yes, I said "a hospital".  Because from 7:00-2:00 I was at my hospital, the one where my nursing class does its clinical rotations for training/learning.  While I was there, I had some down time and was being a bad nursing student and checked my personal email.  And I'm glad I happened to do that....

...because there was an email from my dad (and later one from my mom) saying that my grandmother had had a stroke early this morning.  She was reading in bed when all of a sudden she couldn't read.  She thought she was stroking (my grandfather died of a massive stroke - his second - so she knew all the signs) and tried to call 911, but couldn't make her fingers work.  Finally, after having the phone off the hook, the operator came on and helped her and sent paramedics.  Thankfully, Nana lives in an Assisted Living facility (in the independent living section) and it's right across the street from a hospital.  Unfortunately, something wonky was going on with the doorman/security guard in her building, because no one even knew the paramedics had taken her.  BUT, the wonderful ER doctors found my dad's phone number in her purse (the EMTs cleaned out her medicine cabinet and brought all her meds and purse with her) and called my dad at 3 this morning.

So I saw that email from my dad shortly after lunch, told my instructor I needed to leave early, and was on my way.  I met my mom at the hospital, and Nana knew who I was.  She can (sorta) speak, but she's garbled, and she can write with her left hand (and she's always been a lefty).  The rest...well, only time will tell how much she'll regain.  She will not be able to live alone after this I don't think, but we'll have to wait and see.  She is still in the ER, waiting for a bed.  She's still NPO (nothing by mouth) until her swallow eval tomorrow, to see what, if anything, she can safely swallow.  So we'll see.

I have two tests tomorrow, so I can't skip class.  I'm hoping to get out as soon as possible so that hopefully I can go spend a little bit of time at the hospital, but we'll see.  I got home late this evening, and Hubs simply wrapped me in a big hug.  That was all I needed.  No words...just a big hug.  He let me cry and talk and feel sorry about the last time I saw Nana and I sorta was mean to her.  He made a frozen pizza and made me eat dinner.  And then he hugged me and let me talk some more.  And then, he left me alone because he knew I needed that too.  I love that he knows what I need without me saying it.

But my favor is that, if you are the praying kind, please send up a few extras for my Nana.  Her eyes are twinkling and her brain is still fully functional....but she can't make her body do what her head is telling it to do.  She very depressed and was talking about how she wanted to go be with my grandfather tonight (my grandfather who died of a stroke two years ago).  I don't want her to give up.  Not with those twinkling eyes.  So please say a prayer that her spirit won't leave her and that she'll stay my spunky Nana for a little while longer!!

Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I'll definitely say a prayer for Nana. I'm glad she was able to get help quickly. ***hugs***

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! I'm so sorry - my heart goes out to you - this is what happened to Justin's grandma (the one we lost recently) 10 years ago... It's hard - it's so, SO hard - on you, your fam, and on her, but it will get better for her and she will be okay! Nonni lived alone (in a community!) for nearly 10 years after her stroke and she had so many things that she could still do (slowly sometimes!) but she was okay with therapy and gumption! Each one is different, but if she wants to, she'll still see and hold and snuggle your babies - our Nonni did! I have lots of hope for you all and I'll send up lots of prayers for peace and healing and courage. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Your thoughts and prayers mean the world to me! I just got home from class and called my mom, who's at the hospital with Nana. She partially passed her swallow eval earlier today, and is allowed to have thickened liquids now. I'm still hopeful she'll graduate to pureed foods and maybe a regular diet in the coming weeks and months. She does have a bed, so she's out of the ER now and in her own room, and Mom says her speech seems to have improved since last night. I don't know if I'll be able to get to see her tonight, as Hubs is taking me out for dinner to give me a break, but I think I'll go to the hospital tomorrow with Mom for a little visit...

    Thanks again for your prayers....keep 'em up if you have extras!! I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about your Nana. I will be praying for healing, recovery and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for your Nana and your whole family. I hope she recovers well.

    ReplyDelete