Sunday, July 18, 2010

Monkey Business

Remember this post, when I told you about a monkey that was providing endless fits of laughter for Patrick and me? Well, I promised you an explanation and pictures, so here you are...

Some of you might have heard about Flat Stanley or had a special stuffed animal that travels on family vacations and outings with you... While Patrick was deployed this last time, I sent him a small stuffed animal monkey as a joke, since my nickname for Patrick is Monkey (and now, after five years together, I cannot remember the origin of said nickname!). The monkey was from the $1 section at Target, and honestly, I was just trying to fill up a box with different funny items for a care package sometime around Christmas. As soon as the box was packed and shipped, I promptly forgot about the monkey, and as such never had an inkling of a thought that Patrick would bring the monkey home with him.
Turns out I was wrong. One night, after a long day, I crawled into bed and there on my pillow was Monkey, as he is now affectionately called, smiling up at me. Instantly, my mood elevated and I started giggling so much I began to cry! Patrick came in the room to confirm that his plan had worked and told me that while he was gone, Monkey sat on his desk and made him smile on the rough days in the desert. My goofy little gift had a larger purpose in life.

Since that evening, Patrick and I have taken turns hiding Monkey around the house, usually in unexpected places, waiting to raise the spirits of whoever happens to find him. Monkey has been known to hang out in combat boots, coffee cups, sock drawers, and even lunch boxes! We've decided that Monkey will have to come to Canada with us, to provide entertainment as we explore the Northern Frontier!





2 comments:

  1. Thanks...sometimes we're immature. Maybe that will keep us young forever?!? This thing will probably be a chewed up, drooled on mess a few years from now, when babies and puppies are "hopefully" here!

    ReplyDelete