So here's the update on my bunionectomy (here's some more information about bunions)....
I had my surgery on Tuesday (Mardi Gras, of all days) morning and had to be at the hospital at 5:30...sheesh! Even though my operation wasn't due to begin until 7:30, things moved pretty quickly. They checked me in right away, and I didn't even have time to read one article in a magazine before they called me back for my vitals and to get me prepped. I did have to wait a little bit after they started my IV, so my lovely nurse (Becky, who was awesome) had to come with me to the bathroom before I went to the operating room...but she was great and made sure my gown stayed closed so no one got to see my cute little hiney!
Just a few minutes after that, my nurse anesthetist, Nan (who was also awesome), came and took me away and gave me some great drugs! I remember moving from the gurney to the operating table and breathing in some oxygen, but after that, nada! I woke up about 10 minutes before the operation was over, but I kept my eyes closed, because I wasn't sure that, even being a blood and guts junkie, I wanted to see my own foot cut opened and spilling out! So my eyes stayed shut until Nan told me it was ok to open them...I told you, she was great! They helped me move back onto the gurney and wheeled me into recovery, and after resting for 30 minutes or so, they let my mom come back to see me.
Dr Chung came while Mom was with me and told me that the operation went really well... They basically made incisions on either side of my left foot, broke my bones where the bunions were protruding, reshaped them using titanium pins, and sewed me back up. I do have a plaster cast on my foot (my very first cast) and I'm walking on crutches, but I really haven't had any pain. If you ever have to have surgery in Hampton Roads, Sentara Leigh is a great hospital and I was super happy with the ambulatory unit, where my operation took place!
After they discharged me, Mom took me home, with a pitstop to Starbucks on the way. Right around the tunnel, which isn't far from the Starbucks, I started to feel a little nauseous (anesthesia does that to me) so I opted for a carbonated drink instead of my usual White Chocolate Mocha and started to feel a little better...but the rest of the car ride home wasn't looking so pleasant to me! Mom was great and got me home as quickly as she could and got me up the stairs (an amazing feat when you have a 15-20 pound weight on one foot!) and into bed to rest. She set my little sick room up great with water on the bedside table, ice packs, and everything! Patrick even had pink daisies and tulips delivered to decorate my room! I never did get sick, either! Yay!!
I only took a vicodin once, with my lunch that first day, but it made me so nauseous, I've been sticking to motrin since, and only to get comfortable enough to sleep at night. I really have not had any pain! Yay for inheriting Mom's Superwoman Pain Threshold!!! In fact, I really wouldn't need the motrin at night, but because of the position I have to lay in to keep my foot elevated, I just can't get comfy; it's like trying to sleep in a car or on a plane!
I went to class the very next day, and have not had any problems this whole week! My parents have been driving me to school, and my wonderful classmate Malissa has been bringing me back home. She's totally deserving of the Starbucks card I gave her!
Other than that, all is well. I haven't had any pain, and even the throbbing seems to be abiding on a daily basis. I do have some severe cabin fever and can not stand my inability to do anything for myself. Even getting up to use the bathroom is a major feat, and getting up and down the stairs is limited because it takes so much out of me to hop on one foot (which, coincidentally is the leg with my bad knee, so hopping isn't so great) and because I need someone to carry my crutches so I can use both hands to balance. I can't wait to be able to move back into my own house, drive my car again, run errands, and get back to the gym! Being cooped up and limiting my movements even within the house is driving me crazy!!!
Well, that's enough for today! Here's hoping I can get a hot-spot in my parents' house for long enough to post this! I'll include some pictures of my cast when I have my USB to connect the camera to my computer!
No comments:
Post a Comment