Saturday, January 16, 2010

Ew. Gross.

I am embarrassed to tell you this, I admit, but I'm going to anyway. Ya know, in the sake of humor and blogging and just sharing my thoughts... Yesterday, after my shower and moisturizing routine, I realized that my toenails really needed a trim. So I did what everyone does: balance on one foot, with the other up on the toilet seat so the clippings go into the toilet, get flushed down, and I never have to worry about them again, right? Uh, no! Not this time!

You guessed it; after the very friggin' first clip, my still lotion-y fingers lost their grip and my clippers flipped into the toilet bowl. Hehe, did you like my little rhyme? No grip = clip flip! Anyway! As you can imagine, I stood there for a full minute, in nothing but the towel wrapped around me and my wet hair streaming down my back, cursing at my bad luck (of course I knew that one of these days that was going to happen to me). Then I came to the realization that I'd been really delinquent in my housewifery, what with my husband deployed, Reserve Duty, school starting back up, trips south and then west to help grandparents, holidays, and more...and I hadn't gotten around to cleaning my bathroom since just before Christmas. Let me tell you, it was gross! Not as gross as the shower on my first ship, shared by seven ladies (erm, they weren't actually all that ladylike, unfortunately) and "cleaned" by a nineteen year old Sailor-boy who doesn't know Clorox from furniture polish! I'd been meaning to clean the bathroom, but after dusting and vacuuming and putting away all the Christmas decorations last week, I hadn't gotten around to it yet. I promise, I normally clean every week, like clockwork!!

So what did I do? I fished the clippers from the toilet with a wooden spoon and threw them both away. Yes, I realize there was only water (and my first nail clipping) in the toilet... And yes, I realize that this is not a publicly used toilet, nor is it even the powder room toilet used by house- or dinner-guests; at the most it's only used by my husband and me, and since he's deployed... Yes, I realized all that! But I could not get over the fact that it had been three weeks since its last cleaning and stick my hand in there!

Sooo, now that I've gotten off my butt some divine inspiration and finished my house-cleaning I'm off to the store for some groceries and new nail clippers!

What tales of housewifery mishaps do you have to tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment