Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A plug for TRICARE Standard...

...if you have TRICARE Prime and are unhappy with it, read on!!!

This morning, I met with my new CIVILIAN doctor and I absolutely love Love LOVE her!!! She's the same doc my mom uses, so I knew she was good, but she was so easy-going and easy to talk to. So much different from the Navy docs who just herd you through the process because they're so far behind on appointments, don't really answer your questions, and then make you feel stupid for not knowing anything. Seriously, going to the "girl-doctor" is uncomfortable enough, but I didn't even notice because she was so wonderful! Granted, I did have to wait for a bit between getting my vitals, the initial "office" chat, and then the exam, but I didn't mind because she really spent time talking over my medical history, how I'm doing medically (overall), anything weird I was seeing or feeling, and what my long-term medical goals are (read: family plans).

When I told her that eventually we wanted a family, but we were working against upcoming deployments and probable transfers across the country, she told me that I can totally stay on the pill for as long as I want and only need to stop a month before we want to start trying (I'd heard it was longer), whenever we do start trying. She gave me a script and told me that if I wanted to refill it, I could; if not, I didn't have to, or I could hang on to it until I wanted to refill it! She didn't change what I'd previously been using, didn't prescribe any fancy brands that are super expensive, and told me that for over-the-counter stuff (vitamins, etc) I could just get generics from Walgreens. In short, she really listened to what I had to say about my body and what I was concerned about and gave me the best care that I've had at a doctor's appointment in years. For someone who's been seeing Navy doctors her whole life, this was a breath of fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment