I've been meaning to get back on here to post about the last leg of our vacation and let you know we made it home safely, but obviously that did not happen! Suffice it to say that, yes, we made it home safely!
As for the last three days of our trip to Key West, we were pretty low-key. Wandering around the island, great walks at sunset to find a perfect outdoor cafe or bistro for dinner (the recession has been hard on tourism there, so we got some great two-for-one deals on amazing meals!), and spending time at the pool at our resort. Our last day there was actually a constant downpour, so we stayed inside watching old movies on cable, then getting great deli sandwiches and key lime pie for dinner!
We planned to wake up bright and early Friday morning (and by bright and early, I mean 4:00 am) but neither of us was sleeping really well, so we got up at 3:30, said "screw it", got dressed, and hit the road. Although Patrick drove the entire way on the front end of the trip, he promised me I was going to "get" to help on the way home (I'd like to note that while I may not have offered to help driving, I certainly was more than willing to do so if asked...but who's going to volunteer for that?!?). So he drove up through the Keys (and a rain storm) and we stopped in Miami (I think) for breakfast and to switch drivers. Then we stopped again in Kingsland GA (if I remember correctly, some old ND friends of mine were stationed there a year or so ago) for lunch and another switch. Somewhere in North Carolina, between lunch and dinner, I took over again, and then Patrick drove the last leg from northern NC home. We actually did really well and knocked an hour off the advertised driving time on Yahoo maps...even managed to get two loads of laundry done and pretty much totally unpacked before we went to bed around 10:30! Not bad for an 1100 mile trip!
Since getting back, Patrick has been catching up at work and getting ready for an upcoming trip to Iraq. I've been running errands to get food back in the fridge, figure out what keeps making my washing machine "walk" all around the laundry room while running and then stop draining, and the million other things on my "to do" list before school starts again in a week! I had a placement test over at the hospital to which I'm applying for a nursing program, which I passed (thanks to all you well-wishers!) and am now awaiting the interview, which is the last step of the application process. Next week is pretty crazy with doctor's appointments, pre-deployment activities (aka executing our updated wills, which is so morbid and I hate it), and taking care of my mama who will be having carpal tunnel surgery next week (and of course, my dad will be out of town!)...I'm glad I'm close enough to help out...
Other than that, it's business as usual around here. I'm not looking forward to the separation coming up. In the past, it was always me deploying (or at least we were gone at the same time) so I had something to keep me busy. This time it's different...so if any of you ladies want to do something fun, I'd really appreciate the distraction!
No comments:
Post a Comment