Monday, June 4, 2012

One Year Ago

Exactly one year ago, even to the timing of this post, I heard the sweet cries of my firstborn and became a mama.

Exactly one year ago, the nurses placed him on my chest and I fell in love.  I didn't know my heart had such a capacity or depth of emotion.

Exactly one year ago, I witnessed a miracle.  One of which I am daily in awe.  One for which I am daily eternally grateful.  One I still find hard to believe.

Exactly one year ago, five tiny fingers wrapped around mine, forever changing the way I would view the world.

Exactly one year ago, one perfect little person changed my life forever!

Happy FIRST Birthday, Sweet Little Bunkey-Man!  You woke this morning with smiles and giggles (and a ferocious appetite), reminding me that the most important job I will ever have is to protect you...and the most rewarding job is watching the world through your curious little eyes!

I look back now, at the long uncomfortable days of pregnancy, the exhausting hours of labor, and the nervous first days and weeks as I learned how to take care of this little person who depended on me for everything.  We've come a long way, little man!  We've become comfortable and confident with each other, we've established routines (and then new routines with every new stage in your life), and we've learned to trust ourselves and each other, rather than just listening to some book, or some other mommy, or sometimes even the doctors!

But you, Little Man, you, have come the farthest in such a short time!  From a tiny babe with a wobbly head (though you were surprisingly strong and could hold your head up for several seconds from the very beginning) to the adorably curious little boy you are today!  From just two ounces to eight (plus real food)...from purees to fish sticks...from rolling to crawling to walking...from rattles to trucks...from bouncy chairs to highchairs...from alcohol on your circumcision to toothpaste on your new teeth...from blue eyes to nearly chocolate...from wails to coos to babbles to "mama"...  You have done all the work!  You are rapidly learning about the world around you, exploring every nook and cranny (and playing peek-a-boo from your Bunny Hole behind the TV), listening, tasting, touching as you go...marveling as you take it all in.  You are what makes my days exciting and the (very rare) sleepless nights worthwhile!  You are the best gift I've ever received!

Here's to you, Little Man!  Happy Happy Happy First Birthday!!!

4 comments:

  1. YAY Bunkey!!!!! It is amazing how changed we are. I never would have believed it if I wasn't living it. Such a wild and precious life!

    ReplyDelete