Friday, June 1, 2012

5QF: It's JUNE!?!



1. What were you scared of as a kid?  When I was little, we never had blinds in our windows.  Curtains, yes, but no blinds.  That was before you could get the nice faux wooden ones; my mom was never a fan of the plastic or metal variety.  So we only had curtains.  And they were, as my dad would say, "Just for show, not for blow."  In other words, they were arranged with tie-backs and we weren't to touch them or draw them or close them or anything.  Well, my bedroom was on the front side of the house, so when cars would drive by at night, the headlights would cast freaky shadows that would move across my room, despite the fact that I was on the second floor of the house.  I remember many times when Daddy would have to come in and assure me that the brass doorknobs of my closet doors (directly across from my bed) were not the glowing eyes of a witch or that the strange shadow near my door wasn't a man watching me, but just the shadow from the car of teenagers making out across the street.  So yeah, strange shadows, I think that is what I was scared of....and only on nights when our street was unusually busy...

2. Do you sleep well in a hotel?  Depends.  I wouldn't say I don't sleep well in hotels.  Sometimes I just sleep better than other nights.  Some hotels are glorious.  Others are sketchy. The ones I stay in during Drill Weekends (I'm in the Reserves) come to mind.  Sometimes I'm so tired from waking up at 4:00am and driving two hours, then putting in a full work-day, that I just melt right into the sheets.  Other times the Navy puts me up in a hotel right near the Oakland airport (and Oakland is a scary place anyway) and the noises around me (and not even airport noises, because those are at least safe) freak me out and I worry that Hubs and Bunkey won't ever find me if something awful happens...  I'm glad I don't have to drill in Oakland for a couple of months!

3. If you could meet any celebrity, dead or alive, who and why?  Ummm.....  I've never been good at these questions.  I don't particularly idolize celebrities, so I can't say I'd like to spend the day with one specific star.  But my dad passed away almost two years ago, and I'd like to hang out with him for one more day.  And he's an idol in my book, so we'll go with that!

4. It's a hot summer day. Do you prefer to be pool side or at the beach?  The Beach.  Hands down.  Pools are too crowded.  And yes, beaches can be too, but they're significantly more spread out, so you can have your own little area and not really worry about folks eavesdropping.  Oh, and there's always a way to sneak some cold adult beverages to the beach; the pool not-so-much.

5. What is your favorite summer dish?  I love Jimmy Buffet Nights at our house.  Burgers with all your favorite toppings, Daddy's Famous Margaritas, and Key Lime Pie.  Mmmm....  But I also love our Fourth of July picnic:  fried chicken, Mama's Baked Beans (they're the best), Mamaw's Banana Pudding, potato salad, cheap Red-Neck beer (the only time Daddy's would drink domestic!) and lots of country music!!  Or grilled shrimp on the beach.  See...another one where I can't decided.  I just love summer.  I'm gonna miss those hot sticky nights this year.  Monterey's just too mild...

No comments:

Post a Comment