Growing up, we always carved our jack-o-lanterns the day before Halloween, and lit them up, just once, to see how they looked. This year, I added something new, something we never did as kids but I always wanted to...I roasted my pumpkin seeds!! And then I experimented with Hot Spiked Apple Cider to toast the season!
Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup raw green pumpkin seeds
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to coat. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until puffed and browned, about 10 minutes.
Spiked Hot Apple Cider
1 quart water
3 orange spice tea bags
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups apple cider
1 1/2 cups rum
8 cinnamon sticks
Boil water. Remove from heat and steep tea bags for 5 minutes, covered. Remove tea bags, and stir in sugar, cider, rum, and two cinnamon sticks. Heat to steaming, but do not boil. Serve in mugs, garnishing with a cinnamon "swizzle" stick.
No comments:
Post a Comment