Friday, October 16, 2009

Angry Housewife of Hampton Roads

This fall, I'm taking classes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. That means I run my errands on the other days. This past Wednesday in particular, I had a ton of things to do: stop by the craft store for refill pages for a scrapbook I've been working on, drop off some packages at the post office (which never happened; oops!), pick up my uniform that was being "re-striped" at the base Alterations Shop, run to the commissary for a few things, get some beer and wine from the Package Store, pick up some stuff from another tailoring shop closer to my house, pop into the grocery near my house to get a few things (fresh herbs) that I couldn't find at the commissary, and clean my whole house before Patrick leaves on deployment.

So, after my morning workout, I took a quick shower and made sure to wear something comfy since I'd be running around all day. I went to the craft store first, and then, noticing the time and making calculations so as to avoid tunnel traffic and the earliest possible onset of school getting out/rush hour, I decided to forego the post office and head straight down to the Naval Base for the errands on that side of the water. I can't stand hunting for parking a million times, so I parked at the commissary, then walked over to the package store for my booze, plopped it into my car, then went in to the alterations shop. Of course there was a long line and only one person behind the counter, so it took forever and I didn't want to go back outside to my car, so I just decided to hook my hanger on my grocery cart and hit the commissary first.

Somewhere between the meat and the cleaning supplies, a kindly older gentleman noticed me consulting my grocery list and said, "Wow, I wish I was that organized!" I made some reply about lots of practice. He then turned up his nose and said, "Well, I guess you have plenty of time for lists since you don't have anything else to do." What?!?! Plenty of time?? He must be joking! Because you saw the list of things I had to do that day! And you knew that I'm back in school taking classes that require extra studying! No, I no longer work full time, and no, I don't have children yet, but that certainly does not mean that I don't have a lot on my plate. A plate that requires organization and planning so that I can relax at the end of the day instead of wondering what in the world I forgot at the grocery or what I didn't get accomplished that will be put off until tomorrow. So, Mr. Plenty of Time, when you find all that extra time sitting around, will you let me know where you found it? I'd like some, and I know a few busy Mommies-on-the-Go who'd like some too!

1 comment:

  1. Going to school is difficult enough! And when I was pregnant with James I didn't work and still had a ton to do!!! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete