I think that the best part of having kids is that you get to take part in all the super fun kid-friendly traditions that come with holidays. I'll never forget the year, just before Hubs left on deployment, that I dragged him to the pumpkin patch. We went on a hay ride, visited the petting zoo, and of course picked out two huge pumpkins. And the whole time Hubs rolled his eyes and teased me about how we were the only ones there without a small child.
Well, I don't care for party poopers, so last year, when our Parents Place class went on a field trip to the pumpkin patch, I did a little happy dance that I could act like a kid without my husband chiding me the whole time. No matter that when we got home he teased that Bunkey would never remember a minute of it and didn't know a thing about Halloween or care about candy and trick-or-treating (for the record, yes, we did take him to one house, because even though he wouldn't remember it, I would, and because you only get to have one first Halloween!). Anyway, so we went to the patch last year, and secretly I think Hubs was a little sad he missed out.
This year, I tried again. I mentioned the idea to Hubs, and while he didn't make fun of my excitement for pumpkins, he did have a pretty crammed schedule (it's his last quarter before graduation, and his normal requirements plus thesis prep are a bit overwhelming) and just didn't see a way to make things work. So I did some research and found two places that looked promising and toddler-friendly. Meanwhile, I invited a neighbor and her six-month old to join us...and told her to choose which of the two places we went!
Well, A and I must have the same taste, because she picked my top choice! Uesugi Farms is about 45 minutes away from here, but oh so worth the trip! They have several attractions appropriate for a variety of age ranges, making it a perfect option for a group of families or even those with both older and younger siblings. While many of the areas are free, the others are pay as you go, making the trip as affordable or extravagant as you'd like! Since our kiddos are both under 3, A and I only had to pay for ourselves, so for less than $10, we were each able to get tickets for the Enchanted Hayride and a Train Ride. For another $5 we each got lunch at the Snack Shack on the edge of the farm, and for a final $10 we brought home the pumpkin of Bunkey's choosing. Yes, the day was a little pricey when you consider that I could get a pumpkin at the grocery store for $3, but the memories (and pictures) make the $25 day well worth it. And Bunkey giggled and grinned the entire day, which only solidified my satisfaction with the outing!
 |
| Kiddos could sit in the Pumpkin King or Pumpkin Queen thrones! |
 |
| On our train ride! |
 |
| You kid brings you a flower? Mine brings me a rock! |
 |
| On the hayride, going through the marigold fields |
 |
| Picking a pumpkin...but this one was vetoed for lack of a stem! |
No comments:
Post a Comment