Yesterday I did something I've never done before. And I loved it!
Yesterday I went out - totally by myself - and did something just for me, that I've always wanted to do. And I did it alone. None of my girlfriends were available. My husband wasn't really interested (and besides, I needed someone to take care of the little guy). But I didn't want to waste the opportunity to do something I really wanted just because I'd be flying solo.
I attended a cooking class at Williams-Sonoma! I learned about the cooking demonstrations they host a few months ago and was intrigued. But I never knew anyone that was really interested. Only a few of my friends really enjoy cooking, and not many of those particularly care about gourmet cooking. Still fewer are willing to shell out $50+ for a class teaching them how to cook a meal they're not likely to replicate. So I bit the bullet. I called the store and signed up, knowing I could still chicken out and cancel.
Then I went in to the store and paid my "tuition". At this point I figured I could still get out of it and at least get a store credit.
But I didn't.
And I'm so glad!
The class I attended was a Bobby Flay Throwdown! theme. Great man-food. Perfect for inspiration when cooking for my husband. When I arrived at the store, I was greeted by name by Becky, the chef doing the evening's demonstration. She offered me a drink (water or tea) and invited me to sit while we waited for the other three ladies taking the course that night.
Once we were all there, Becky dove right in! She gave us each a packet of the evening's recipes and started our meal. She went step-by-step, explaining changes she needed to make based on the seasonality of some of the ingredients, gave insight about some specialty markets in the area where we could find certain elements to each dish, and offered substitutions when some items weren't available. Imagine my surprise, too, when one of the featured recipes was one I've made before, and will be featuring on my food blog in the next month!
After dinner, we were given a few minutes to browse and shop, and enjoy a 10% discount for the evening, before a scrumptious dessert!
All in all, it was a great evening! I had a wonderful meal, got some great insight to some culinary gems in my area, and conquered my fear of going it alone!
And in two weeks...I'm taking another class! Although this one is Martha Stewart themed, and this time a friend is coming along! Can't wait!
Once we were all there, Becky dove right in! She gave us each a packet of the evening's recipes and started our meal. She went step-by-step, explaining changes she needed to make based on the seasonality of some of the ingredients, gave insight about some specialty markets in the area where we could find certain elements to each dish, and offered substitutions when some items weren't available. Imagine my surprise, too, when one of the featured recipes was one I've made before, and will be featuring on my food blog in the next month!
After dinner, we were given a few minutes to browse and shop, and enjoy a 10% discount for the evening, before a scrumptious dessert!
All in all, it was a great evening! I had a wonderful meal, got some great insight to some culinary gems in my area, and conquered my fear of going it alone!
And in two weeks...I'm taking another class! Although this one is Martha Stewart themed, and this time a friend is coming along! Can't wait!
Good for you! Going places alone used to make me super nervous. I remember the first time I traveled alone and had to sit at a restaurant without a book or anything to keep me company. The first time was rough. All I could think about was how it looked to be out alone, but then I started digging it. I still get a little nervous heading into a new event/activity/what-have-you all alone, but I am getting a lot more comfortable. So good for you. Baby steps!
ReplyDeleteThat's so fun! I've never done anything JUST ME either. I think it's time I put my big girl panties on and do it!
ReplyDelete