Friday, March 9, 2012

Mama's Visit: Carmel-by-the-Sea

I thought for sure my mom would be exhausted by this point in her visit and want to relax at least a little bit, but I was wrong!  On Monday, following our trip to SoCal, we decided to drive out to Carmel.

We learned quickly that the second half of Mom's visit was not destined for the beautiful sunny days we'd enjoyed the first week she was here!  We arrived in Carmel and the car thermometer read 48!  After 60+ degree days, we were quite chilly!  Nevertheless, we cozied up to the fireplace and had a wonderful lunch at the Hog's Breath Inn, owned by none other than Clint Eastwood!

Following lunch, we drove to the outskirts of town to tour the Carmel Mission Basilica and Museum.  This was a last-minute add to the list of activities I'd planned for Mama, and I'm so glad I did!  The grounds were breathtaking, the blooming flowers smelled delicious, and the gift shop was chock-full of wonderful Catholic gifts:  Bibles (we desperately need a family Bible), rosaries, children's books, and more.  I made a mental note to return before our last nephew makes his First Communion to purchase a gift for him, as well as another for our niece's Confirmation!  I did pick up a children's Bible for Bunkey's Easter basket as well as a book of angels and saints which I'll save for Christmas.  I also drooled over a gorgeous rosary I secretly hope Hubs will buy me for our anniversary, but we'll see.

Needless to say, this was a wonderful gem, and likely a hidden secret amongst tourists and residents alike.  I'm so glad we went!














The sun was trying to peep out after our tour, so we went back to Ocean Street in Carmel and found a lovely outdoor mall with great shops, to include an upscale children's store where I bought an adorable Easter outfit for Bunkey!

2 comments:

  1. Carmel is so cute. It cracks me up that there are no street addresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! :) This is my first time stopping by and all your posts on this page are my favorite places: Coronado, Old Town San Diego, Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove! I will definitely be back. Looking forward to reading more from you!

    ReplyDelete