I'm so sorry it's been so long since I've posted a real update. Life happened, I suppose! I feel like I've been going 100 miles an hour since, well, the beginning of February. Oh wait... ha! I can't complain though, because, while busy, life's been good. I have much for which to be thankful!
As you know, I flew to the Midwest in early February to celebrate my grandmother's long and fruitful life. While the circumstances of the visit were sad, Bunkey was able to meet all my aunts, uncles, and cousins on that side of the family. Well, first cousins anyway. Which means that the only relatives who have yet to meet him are my two cousins on my dad's side of the family and Hubs's sister and her family (which includes Bunkey's three first cousins). Hopefully we'll get to see them soon!
Shortly after my trip to Illinois, my mama came for a two week visit, which I've already recapped ad nauseum, so I won't repeat all the fun we had here. You can check out my archives if you missed those posts (or just want to read them again!).
The day after Mama left, Hubs and I got brave and hired Bunkey's very first babysitter. You might remember that I found her on SitterCity and already interviewed her and had an appointment for her to do a trial run the same week as Mamaw's funeral. I obviously had to cancel that appointment, so this was the trial run! Hubs and I were attending Sip the Peninsula, a wine and beer tasting and silent auction hosted by the Wives Club here in Monterey. We had a fabulous time, tasted some fabulous wines, and enjoyed a night out alone. Oh, and Bunkey did great with the sitter, and ended his long-time stretch of waking up at 3:00am for no apparent reason (teething, actually, is the likely culprit).
The day after Sip the Peninsula, I hosted a baby shower for a dear friend of mine here. Mama helped me clean the house and get everything set up before she left, so really I didn't have much work to do. Mama even helped me design a menu that was largely make-ahead so that I wouldn't stress out with so much going on all at once! Thank goodness for that...since Saturday was a late night and Sunday morning we had church before all the guests began arriving at 12:30 (two hours after Mass ended!). I'll post a bunch of pictures of that later on (today, hopefully) and perhaps I'll even post the recipes and menu on my cooking blog some time in the future... We'll see!
The following week was a big one for Bunkey. He had his nine month well baby check up. I can't remember his exact numbers right now (and I'm too lazy to go find the slip of paper where they're written!). He didn't grow or gain as much as I thought or would have hoped, but the doctor was pleased nonetheless. He's quite active, crawling and pulling up and cruising around the furniture, so she wasn't surprised that he's burning calories faster than I can shovel them into his mouth. And believe me, I try! Booger eats like a horse! Dr A gave me a cheat sheet of what he should be eating, and he eats well more than those quantities. I must have made a worried face (hello childhood obesity) but she assured me that obviously I have nothing to worry about since Little Man is somewhere around the 30-40th percentile for weight. She was impressed with exactly how well he sits and can transfer from lay to sit to stand and back. All in all, he's healthy. No shots this time, and nothing to worry about. On the way home from the doctor we made a stop at Target to get some toys that are more age appropriate as Bunkey was starting to get a bit bored with his current selection and I wanted some developmental things that will help with the new stages upon which we're about to embark. Oh yeah, and that same week Bunkey also got his picture taken with the Easter Bunnies (yes, plural) at Parent's Place. The photos turned out great and I can't wait to frame a couple! Check them out for yourself!
Later that week, at church, they made an announcement that we're in desperate need for a Director of Religious Education (DRE). This person is really in charge of the Sunday School (CCD, for you fellow Catholics) teachers and assists the Priest with the CCD program. It's a paid position with few (if any) qualifying skills and experience. Well, I met with our Priest and told him I'm interested, and perhaps soon I'll be getting an offer for the position. It's not much, but it's a little something extra to plump my pocketbook, yet still devote the majority of my time to my family (and Reserves duties). I'll keep you posted!
Last weekend, we hired our new-found babysitter once again, got all glammed up, and attended the Supply Corps Birthday Ball. Hubs bought me a pretty new dress, I got my hair and nails done, and I learned how to apply false eyelashes! It was so nice to go "all the way" to have a fabulous night out. We had a tasty meal at the ball, chatted with other classmates and work friends of Hubs', and enjoyed an amazing view of Monterey Bay for the entire evening. We have an "official" photo forthcoming, but here's one that we took at the event. Please excuse the poor editing (not that I'm that great anyway)....but it was raining towards the end of the evening so we couldn't take a picture out on the balcony and in order to avoid too much glare on the huge windows opted to leave the flash off...I did my best to lighten our faces, but I'm no professional! Oh yeah, and while I was at the final fitting for my gown (I bought it off the rack and it needed to be taken in several inches) there was a bride looking at gowns. I helped her choose a dress and secured the sale for the owner of the boutique....who later offered me a job helping her out once or twice a week! She said she was going to call me, but she hasn't yet, so we'll see. If I get the other job at church I probably wouldn't take this one too, just since they're both weekend jobs, but it's nice to have the options...
I had St Patrick's Day "off"...but on Sunday I had to drive up to drill with my unit. Thank goodness they're a "Flex Drill" unit so it's easy for me to reschedule my drill dates if I really need to! It was so nice not to have to wake up at 4:00am the morning after the Ball to get there on time...and nice that I didn't have to spend a night away from my Little Guy! Sunday was a busy day, but I got a lot done, and now I am set until next month's drill... I had to drive up again Monday morning just to get some fingerprinting done to renew my Top Secret clearance, but I was able to take Bunkey with me and wear civilian clothes, so I can't complain. We were up and back in under five hours!
Other than that, it's been business as usual here at Hagan House. We're halfway through our tour here and waiting to see what adventure Uncle Sam will send us on next. In the meantime, we're trying to soak up as much as the West Coast has to offer...starting with a weekend trip in a few days! More on that to come!



It does sound like you have been busy, but with all good things (minus the reason for your trip to the midwest). You and your husband look great in these pictures! And the picture of Bunkey with the bunnies is adorable! We are doing something similar with chicks in the next few weeks. How fun!
ReplyDelete