Wow! A lot has happened since my last real post!
The day after I gave you my reflections on my first two weeks as a mother, Hubs left to make the long trek from the East Coast to the West. He drove to Kentucky first and made the rest of the drive, over three days, with his dad. A few days after he arrived in California, Bunky and I hopped on a plane with Mama A and Little Brother to join Hubs.
Prior to leaving Virginia, Bunky and I both got clean bills of health from our doctors. I copied medical records and packed the myriad of baby things that would nearly eat up the luggage allowance for three adults (FYI, Southwest allows two checked bags per ticketed passenger at no extra cost!). We piled into Big Brother's Tahoe and he took us to the airport...and thank goodness he has a big car because I have no idea how we'd have managed without him!
Little Man was an absolute champ on the plane! He didn't make a peep and unless they saw him, none of the other passengers even knew he was there! Hubs met us at the airport in the new Explorer and we stopped for a great pizza at a local college hang-out which was super yummy after a day of traveling with no time to grab a bite to eat! Boy is the weather in Northern California different from Southern Virginia! It was 60 degrees and cold!!! Never did I think I'd say that I miss 95-degree heat with 100% humidity, but I do!
We had to pack all five of us into a super small hotel room for a night, but early the next morning (Friday) we loaded up and drove to our new neighborhood. We stopped at the commissary for some supplies and then went to the housing office a couple of hours before our scheduled appointment to see if they'd give us our keys early, which they did.
Unfortunately, we also learned that for some unknown reason, the carpet cleaning that was supposed to happen on Thursday was only just occurring on Friday morning and the carpets were soaked. And since there are a ton of new families moving in, our movers were in the area for an earlier drop-off and decided to make our delivery early rather than wait around. Of course, since our carpets were soaking wet, they had to pile all the boxes in the garage and Hubs and Little Brother had to make an emergency stop at Home Depot to pick up some coasters for our large furniture so we could actually bring it into the house! We opened the windows and cranked the ceiling fans to try and get the carpets dry more quickly, and thankfully we had a fleece blanket for Bunky to keep him warm. He was so good and quiet the entire day, just sleeping in his little infant carrier on the kitchen counter while the movers came in and out with all our junk!
We managed to get the bedding and towels unpacked and then went to Cannery Row for dinner at Louie Linguini's. By the time we got back home, we were pooped! The remainder of the week was spent unpacking and organizing... And eventually the carpets dried and we were able to bring the boxes inside to unpack!
Mama A and Little Brother were an absolute Godsend. I was so sad when they left a couple of days ago, but they needed to get back for Little Brother to start a summer transition program at VMI that the lacrosse coach is requiring of the new freshmen players. We've made it through two nights without them, and we're working on a routine now that we're feeling more settled. The projectile vomiting went on a hiatus for about ten days when we arrived here, and instead we had some rock solid poops. Now we're back to normal poops and more vomit, right smack half-way between Bunky's morning bottle. But at least that helps dictate bathtime for both Baby and Mommy, right?!?
Anyway, I'll leave you with a couple of pictures from the last week until I have a chance to post again!
![]() |
| Little Brother with Bunky and the teddy bear I gave Little Bro for his 1st Christmas |
![]() |
| First plane ride...he was a champ! |
![]() |
| Reunited! Having lunch at a pizza joint near the airport |
![]() |
| First bath in HIS baby bath and not the borrowed one from Mama A |
![]() |
| First night in the crib... I love the lamby bedding! |
![]() |
| My LIttle Man loves his snuggly towels... and he's so cute in them! |
![]() |
| Caught a rare grin...can't wait for these to be real and not just happy gas! |







Welcome to the West Coast. We just moved out to CA too. What base are you stationed at?
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're settling in! All of those pictures are adorable, so thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYAY! So glad you are there and settled. Quite an adventure for such a new baby...and a new momma too! You look great and that picture of Bunkey and your little brother is so priceless!
ReplyDeleteWe're in Monterey, at Naval Post-Graduate School....
ReplyDelete