Well, folks, while some things seem to be falling in place, others are crumbling just as soon as we get excited... But, everyone knows that the military motto is Semper Gumby, so we're rolling with the punches and trying to make the best of every situation as best as we can!
I had my 33-week check up on Tuesday and everything is looking good! I met with the midwife at my clinic since my OB was on vacation, and she told me I'd likely be cleared to fly two weeks after delivery. That is good news so I'll for sure be able to get my post-partum check up as well as Bunkey's 2-week Well-Baby appointment taken care of before we fly out to California. Now we just have to figure out my mom's schedule to ensure she can come with us and start researching place tickets since it makes sense to go ahead and make those purchases now and change them later if we need to.
We also finished our childbirth classes Tuesday night. We got to take a tour of the birthing center, meet some of the nurses, see a labor and delivery room as well as a post-partum room and the nursery. Some pediatricians also met with us to tell us what to expect the first few days while we're still at the hospital. While Hubs and I got some good information, we're both glad the classes are over and kind of regret that we spent $75 on something that wasn't as helpful as what I already knew from nursing school. Oh well. We also wrestled with the travel system that was in the garage and got our stroller and car seat put together. And we decided it might be a good idea to actually see if it would fit in my car, which it does, but it's a tight fit. Just really solidified our belief that it's time to sell the two-door and get an SUV...
...so Hubs spent the majority of Tuesday cleaning out his car and taking pictures. He got an ad together for cars.com and hopefully we'll sell the Honda quickly so we can move forward with ordering the awesome new car we're both drooling over!
While we were in Annapolis for my dad's inurnment, we received a phone call that one of the families that came to look at our house was interested and that their application had been approved and looked really great. Except that less than 12 hours later we got another phone call that they'd decided on a different home. So we're back to square one and crossing our fingers for the best. We still have a little over a month before we move out and the house is sitting empty, so I'm trying to remain positive! Last weekend we went to a wedding and the reception was several hours after the ceremony, so we ran over to Hubs' office and filled out all the paperwork to schedule our pack-out, which took another item off Hubs' long list of things to do! And I was able to fax everything from my doctor's office, so that wheel has been set in motion and hopefully we'll get that ironed out this week!
Lastly, we found a house in Monterey! It's one of the newer homes on base, and it's just a little bit larger than our house here, but with a two-car garage vice the one-car we have now. It's not my first choice as far as floor plans are concerned, but it's something. The catch is that the house is available as early as Friday (yes, tomorrow) and the housing office will only keep it reserved for us for 14 days. So we'll have to continue calling every two weeks to renew the reservation, but at least we'll have a place to live once we arrive! In the meantime, I verified with the housing office that if something better opened up before we actually get there, we can cancel this reservation and put our names down for another house! Again, I'm crossing my fingers that something better opens! While the house we have now is very similar to our house here in Virginia (three bedrooms, two-and-a-half baths), I'm really hoping that one of the homes that also boasts an extra study will open up so that we can have both an office and a guest room!
And that, my friends, is where we stand right now! I'm sure it's all very exciting for you guys to read about, but I don't have much else to go on right now... Just trying to tie up loose ends regain some sort of control over our lives!
I couldn't even imagine having a baby and a 2-door car. I'm sure people do it, but yikes! Hopefully your renters and housing situation will be worked out soon. I do know a family that just moved to Monterrey a few weeks ago and I think they went through all that, but they got a pretty awesome place!
ReplyDelete