I have one more week of my Winter Break. Then it's back to the hub-bub of classes and clinicals. When I head back to school next week, I'll have exactly one month before graduation. And you better believe that I'm elated to be so close to completion! I can't wait to have my life back so I can actually relax in the evenings rather than study for a million tests. I'm planning a ton of Reserves duties for the following month, and perhaps that will help with some of the costs we're about to accrue buying baby stuff.
Which leads me back to the title of this post: What to do on a cold snowy day? Well, if you're like me, and determined that the snow/ice on the roads isn't too bad now that a few plows have made it through, you're brave enough to venture out. So I bundled up in a new sweater and boots, drove over to Mom's, and then right down to the big huge baby store in the next town over. Yes, we formulated my baby registry. And I'm so glad Mom was with me. She really helped me sort through what I needed and how many, what she wished had been invented when she was having babies, what was nice but not necessary, and what was a waste of money. She helped me wade through the choices of so many different products and reminded me that registering for diapers and wipes wasn't really important since I can get them at the commissary and shower gifts should be more about fun gifts than necessity gifts (although, hey, if someone wants to buy me a lifetime supply of diapers, I certainly won't object!). She also kept me in check when I wanted to start buying things more appropriate for toddlers than for babies. I only looked at infant car seats. I didn't bother with potty chairs or "real food" dishes (except for a high chair that I did go ahead and register for), and I didn't bother with safety gates and outlet covers. We're moving shortly after this baby is born, so I don't know what baby-proofing things I'll need. It's just more to move and lose, so I might as well wait and buy it when I need it. We spent about three hours in the store, and I ended up with a pretty solid selection. That said, I am by no means done!
I still need to pick furniture for the nursery... But I think that rather than pick things at the baby store, I'd like to go with a more grown-up, timeless look that I can reuse with future kids, and have pieces that will grow with the children so I don't have to worry about replacing things every couple of years. Since this baby is a surprise, everything is neutral, so, once again, I can reuse with future kids, and I tried to find things that "go" with my house (without sacrificing safety standards) since I know that so many things will migrate from the nursery to the family room.
My in-laws gave me some great gift cards for Christmas this year, so I would still like to make a trip to the outlets about 45 minutes away to pick some maternity clothes and infant staples out. I found some cute sleepers yesterday, but certainly not enough for an entire baby wardrobe. I don't want to go overboard, because I want to save space for cute pink or blue things once the baby comes and I know if it's a boy or girl, but I also realize I'll need much more than sleepers and swaddlers to outfit this babe!
It's a little overwhelming, but I'm getting there. And the further along I get, the more exciting and real this all seems! If you have any hints or tips on specific products, brands, quantities I should look for, please chime in!
No comments:
Post a Comment