Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Growing like a...fig?!

Two days after my dad died, I had my second OB appointment, right at the 11 week mark.  Babycenter.com told me that our baby was the size of a fig, even though I was still not showing, well, really, anyway.

Since I was working evenings at the hospital that week, I was unable to schedule my appointment when Hubs could come with me...and since my emotional status was, well, questionable, I didn't want to come alone.  So I pulled my mom out of the house for a little while and she came with me.  

When the nurse weighed me, she told me I'd lost some weight, which I confirmed and told her what was going on in my life.  In the 24 hours I'd been at the hospital, I'd lost a whopping six pounds (according to my home scale).  At the doctor's office, I was only one pound under my weight at 8 weeks, so they weren't overly concerned.  The nurse took my mom and me into the exam room, and she let the doctor know what was going on before she came in to see me.  My mom and I have the same OB-GYN, so she knows both of us well and gave us both big hugs when she came into the room.  Before jumping into baby stuff, she talked with us about what was going on and wrote us both prescriptions for some sleeping pills to make sure we were getting some rest.

Since this wasn't my initial appointment, and I'd already had an ultrasound, we were just going to hear the heartbeat with the Doppler, which my doctor found with no problems.  Except that she couldn't "catch it" for more than a couple of seconds, so Mom and I couldn't hear.  She assured me everything was fine, but she asked the nurse to get the ultrasound machine just to show us everything was ok.  After all, our nerves were not quite in tact!  To prevent me from taking all my clothes off, the Doctor started with an abdominal ultrasound, but was unable to find the baby for us.  She kept telling us everything was fine and that she'd heard a good strong heartbeat and we shouldn't worry, but Mom was white-knuckling my hand and stroking my hair, probably trying to calm herself more than me.  I honestly wasn't worried; if the doctor said she'd heard it and everything was fine, then it was.  I didn't have the energy to believe anything else.  Evenso, Dr. L told me to take off my jeans and we'd go ahead with a vaginal ultrasound (like my very first one at 8 weeks) just so I could see.  She found the baby right away, of course, and we could see the heart beating away, perfectly fast and evenly spaced!  We even got to see him (no, I don't know the sex, and I'm not going to find out, so that is an ambiguous "him") flipping and swimming in my belly.  We saw two arm and two legs, hands, feet, and a big round belly!  At one point, it looked like he was playing peek-a-boo with us, shy that we were bugging him for a picture!  Just like Dr. L promised, everything was fine!

Rather than have another appointment four weeks later, I scheduled mine for five, putting me at the beginning of my Christmas break and right at 16 weeks!  So, in just a few days, I'll be sure to post another update for you...  Until then, enjoy the pictures of my little monkey, peanut, fig (?!), or blob, as we've all come to refer to this babe!

I'm fig-sized!
Hi Mom!
Peek-a-boo!

No comments:

Post a Comment