Monday, June 8, 2009

Fun in the Sun!

Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to drop a line to catch up...seems we're all so busy these days!

Not sure if I'd mentioned that I decided to go back to school and get a second degree in Nursing. Turns out there are a LOT of pre-requisites, so I am taking classes at ODU this summer to get all those knocked out. I'm taking Microbiology and Sociology this summer...and let me tell you summer school is ROUGH! Between those two classes, I have nine exams in six weeks (I'm half way done but still have six exams to go) and of course the profs don't space everything evenly!

Due to the difference in requirements for nursing schools, though, I decided that I'm only going to take one class (Anatomy and Physiology) in the Fall as it's a common requirement for all the nursing programs I've seen thus far. I'm going to enroll in an LPN program at a nearby hospital for spring, and should have that certification 11 months after I start. And LPN is one level below a Registered Nurse (RN), but since it's two years to get all the way to RN, I won't be able to finish before we (probably) have to move. So rather than transferring in my last semester (or living apart for 4-5 months) Patrick and I decided that I'll get the lesser of the certifications, and then enroll in a fast-track LPN-to-RN programs (which will cut Nursing School in half time-wise) once we figure out if we're moving to CA or not. And just in case that last thought scared you... If we do move to CA, it won't be until summer 2011!

In other news, I recently sold my Jeep to my best friend (aka "The Other Kate") and we bought a Mazda 3 (and then there is some other part to the name that means it's the sport version with the larger engine, but I don't remember what it's called!). It's a 6-speed and after much practice, and even more patience on Patrick's part, I can officially drive a stick now! It's black and super cute! Kate and I had a great visit when she came to pick up the Jeep, but I was studying the whole time so we really couldn't have any fun... Another time!

Our other big news is that, as of the 31st of May, I am offically OUT OF THE NAVY! I have my own doctors now (civilian ones, and I get to see the same person every time I go! Yay!) and no more ugly uniforms or buns (for my hair)! After I am finished with school in a couple of weeks, we're going down to Manteo NC (on the Outer Banks) for a weekend to see a production of The Lost Colony (you can guess what it's about by the name I'm sure!) at the outdoor theater there. I've wanted to see it since I moved here, but have never been able to. So that will be a little mini-vacation since we're sorta trying to save some cash now that I am not working and we're paying for school and everything... Then Patrick's parents are coming 4th of July weekend. After that who knows....we might be going to a wedding (Patrick's friend) in Nashville in August if we can work it in, but we don't have a schedule for Patrick that far out yet...we'll see...

Hope summer is going great for y'all....let me know if you want to come visit...would love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment