Saturday, May 23, 2009

1 Year of Wedded Bliss

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know our anniversary was last month, but how much can you really do on Easter Sunday? Besides, it's not like all of Norfolk knows when our special day is!

So, even though we were a few weeks late, we celebrated with dinner at Freemason Abbey followed by tickets to the Broadway musical Wicked last night! Dinner was amazing! Freemason Abbey is a gorgeous restaurant with incredible food. Surprisingly, it actually has nothing to do with the Freemasons, but was started in the 1800s as a Presbyterian church, then Christian Scientists, then the Masons, I think, and in the 1980's became a restaurant in downtown Norfolk. And then, the show!!! Oh my goodness was it awesome! For those who don't know, Wicked is a musical that tells the story of how the witches of Oz (Glinda the Good Witch of the North and the infamous Wicked Witch of the West) came to be. Since The Wizard of Oz is my favorite movie of all time, I really enjoyed the play! Patrick wasn't a big fan though (apparently he doesn't care for musicals...I contend he just hasn't seen one that "spoke" to him yet but I'm determined to get him to come around!)...but I loved it!

And I just found out that several great musicals (Grease, Legally Blonde, and The Wizard of Oz) will be showing at Chrysler Hall this winter, so let me know if you'd like to join me...I seriously doubt I can convince Patrick to come along!

In keeping with our goal to check out historical sites and attractions in Hampton Roads, we also toured Bacon's Castle today (this was the Patrick chosen portion of our anniversary celebration!). Bacon's Castle is a gorgeous brick home and gardens in Surry and is (I believe) the oldest brick home in the US. It was actually built by Arthur Allen, but got it's name when Nathaniel Bacon drove the Allen family from their home during the famous Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. As you can imagine, this has caused a centuries long debate with the Allen family, who want their name associated with the home's title!

No comments:

Post a Comment